Panasonic plasmas and Dynamic mode, contrast settings

Rdmkr

Aug 2, 2013
I use the Panasonic P60VT50; a great device in most respects, but the "normal" display setting leaves me rather underwhelmed. The big picture quality advantage of plasma only really seems to make a difference when I take the contrast settings to their utmost extreme.

According to most experts, contrast is the most important factor in the picture quality of a display. Am I interpreting this too literally?

Is there any reason not to put the display mode on Dynamic, with contrast somewhere above 45, maybe even the maximum of 60..? (minimum 0, midpoint at 30)

Some might argue this is not "natural" but when I look at normal mode's brightness output... it doesn't look anything like real life. To dim, too dull and too "flat" an image to convince me. Dynamic mode seems to me to win not just on "wow factor" but realism all the same.

I'm willing to bet that a clear afternoon sky is brighter than the maximum output of my plasma TV*, and a good lot of what I watch has such outdoor scenes in it. Doesn't it follow naturally that the contrast of the screen should be as high as possible to be "realistic"?

Fiddling with the Brightness setting seems to only make dark areas brighter when slid past 30, so I'm not doing that.

As far as I can tell the Dynamic mode doesn't do anything all too weird to the color saturation of the image. It mainly affects the contrast (about equivalent to +15 on the slider). The colors can de de-saturated with the color slider anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight

Last edited: