Panasonic Plasma light horizontal band

Discussion in 'Audio/Video & Home Theater' started by RampantAndroid, Nov 3, 2012.

1. RampantAndroid

RampantAndroid Diamond Member

EDIT: This is line bleed, apparantely. Can anyone compare a G20 or G25 to a ST50 in terms of line bleed? Seems like this is inherent to plasmas.

Hi all,

Been noticing for a while that my P50G25 has an issue with horizontal bands. Only today when watching a DVD did I really look into it, and realize what it was. The issue is that if you have an image with a bright object - for example a face, surrounded by a dark area, the light area appears too light.

For an example,

[​IMG]

The area highlighted in read in this image looks overly bright. Now, this appears to be because of the long dark horizontal line formed by the windowpane behind it. As the camera moves, causing that windowpane to move downwards in the frame, so does the overly bridge band.

Now, I tried this on a PS3 and a XBox, and on other content, and different HDMI cables. In all cases, it's horizontal and still there. Since it moves, this cannot be image retention. Blinds being in the frame also produce a similar effect.

#1 RampantAndroid, Nov 3, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  2. slpaulson

slpaulson Diamond Member

I have the same thing with my Panasonic GT50. I think it's just something you have to deal with when using a plasma.

3. RampantAndroid

I've learned as much. I just ignored it until last night, now I learned something.

4. purbeast0

purbeast0 Lifer

i can't tell what you are pointing out in the picture because that red box is too thick and the quality of the pic is too little.

i own an st50 and am honestly not even sure what banding is.

5. cheez

cheez Golden Member

OP, that problem exists on all models from when the first generation plasma started. My 2004 model professional class does that too. So don't go returning the TV cause it's not defective. ;)

6. RampantAndroid

That is a screengrab of a video, I did NOT whip out my camera and grab a photo of the real thing. Google "plasma line bleed" to find stuff like this:

[​IMG]

Yup, I've learned as much.

7. JackBurton

JackBurton Lifer

I really can't see the problem in the OP, but line bleeding occurs in all plasmas although the severity differs from manufacturer to manufacturer. Samsung's are generally the worst, Panasonic also exhibits the problem, while Pioneer plasmas do a much better job (little to no line bleeding).

Here is a shot taken from a Panasonic GT30:

[​IMG]

Notice the white letters bleeding into the green background.

Now compare that to an 8G Pioneer 5080:

[​IMG]

I haven't tested a 50 series Panasonic though.

#7 JackBurton, Nov 5, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012