Panasonic Lumix Cameras

ronbo613

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2010
Here is a little information if you are thinking about buying a Panasonic Lumix camera, or any other Panasonic product.

I have two Panasonic Lumix cameras; a DMC-LX5 and a DMC-LX7. The cameras are well taken care of, never dropped, handled roughly or been exposed to rain or snow. Both have now failed with less than two years of use. Keep in mind, these are not cheap cameras. They cost about $350 USD each when purchased.

The LX5 lasted a couple years before the rear control wheel that changes shutter speed and aperture stopped working. The camera is now limited to operation in “Intelligent Auto” mode, something any cell phone or $100 camera can do. Thinking I was just unlucky and Leica has always meant “quality” to me, I bought a Lumix LX7 to replace it. After about two years, about the same as with the LX5, the LX7 started showing “System Error OIS” messages and the camera can no longer be used.

Both the LX5 and LX7 Lumix cameras failed at about the same age; two years. Both problems, the LX5 control wheel and the LX7 OIS System Error(the OIS is image stabilization) are hardware issues; either low quality parts or poor craftsmanship. The repair estimate for each camera is $232. The cameras cost $350 new. The Panasonic Support online chat does not work, there is no email address and each telephone call regarding repairs is $9. That is piss poor customer support. Looks like these two Panasonic Lumix cameras will be headed to the landfill because of $10 worth of mass produced electronic parts.

What about all the five star reviews for Panasonic cameras on the internet? If Panasonic gave me a free camera and I wrote a review after using it for a few weeks, I’d give it five stars, too. How about a review of a Panasonic camera that cost $350 of your own money and only lasted two years? Don't see many of those.

I will never buy another Panasonic product.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Sorry to hear that your LX5 failed so quickly. I bought mine when it first came out in 2010(11?) and it is still going strong. The zoom lever sticks a bit but other than that, no problems. I use it at least weekly.

ronbo613

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2010
Sorry to hear that your LX5 failed so quickly. I bought mine when it first came out in 2010(11?) and it is still going strong. The zoom lever sticks a bit but other than that, no problems. I use it at least weekly.

When they work, they're great cameras. If you have a problem, might as well throw them away. My LX5 still "works", only if you use it in Auto mode. The Panasonic customer support and repair is terrible.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
I have a DMC-FZ18 that I got in trade here on AT. I semi-retired it when I bought a Nikon superzoom. It's built like a tank. Not sure of the current models. My Nikon superzoom feels cheaply made. Not at all like my Lumix. Wish I could afford to get something better. Most electronics only have a year warranty. Sorry to hear about your luck. You'd think they'd have better customer service than that. At least be able to take digital correspondence or chats. I will keep that in mind when upgrading/replacing my digital camera in the future.

ronbo613

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2010
I only have these cameras because a mobile phone camera doesn't really do it for me. I should have invested the cost of the Lumix into a better phone. If camera companies want to completely kill off point and shoot cameras, this is how to do it. Cheap parts + expensive factory repairs = more profits. Welcome to the modern world.