Pan frying chicken

Status
Not open for further replies.

AVAFREAK182

Banned
Jun 25, 2007
I want some jasmine with some chicken

problem is i dont have any oil (canola, olive, etc)

Can I use butter? Or substitute?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
butter works, but you probably will need the temperature too hot if you're hoping for a good sear. I think it can be done, but I always fuck up the timing with temp & butter. :\

do you happen to have any lard? or similar high smoke-point fatty shortening.

crisco should work.

oh, if you're actually hoping to make fried chicken in a pan, like with nice crispy skin and juicy meat, you'd want to avoid conola or olive oil anyway. Obtaining fried chicken from a pan fry requires (in my experience) a (deep) cast iron skillet and lard. Or, you can deep fry with a large stock pot and peanut oil (or cast iron dutch oven/pot). peanut oil needs to be ~300 F(?), iirc.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
well, you can still get a decent sear with butter and a good non-stick or cast iron skillet. Don't ask me about temperature, though. :(

Not sure if you need to get the pan up to temperature first, then throw on butter and swirl seconds before tossing on the chicken (the butter browns really fast), or toss in butter and let it come to temp. There is some method for getting a great sear with chicken + butter + skillet. But you won't be able to fry it.

putting on a very generous coat of your rub (jasmine) on either side is essential. Maybe mix with kosher salt (if you have it. :(), which helps form a solid moisture-trapping "skin" when seared.

I'm sure the likes of Howard, Spidey, KT, Magnus and the other experienced chefs/cooks can offer more sage advice.

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
I wouldn't use butter. It has a low smoke point and the moisture will cook out rather quickly. Plus, as zinfamous said, I would expect the butter to start cooking quickly too. Use shortening, or if you are feeling particulaly decadent, lard. If you don't have those I would just look to a different method.

Last edited:

ahenkel

Diamond Member
Jan 11, 2009
If you only have butter and you want to pan fry chicken, I'd recommend clarifying the butter first.

Status
Not open for further replies.