PALIT? Descent Manufacturer? Does anyone have experience with that company?

badnewcastle

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2004
I'm looking at these two cards and someone with experience with Palit. What would you recommend? I'm moving from my 8800GT's which I think are hitting there limits...

4870 dual bios.

EVGA 9800 GX2

Which card would you all recommend for these games:

Crysis: both Warhead and Original
COD4
STALKER: Clear Sky
Bioshock
Future Games?

My 8800GT's are hitting the limit with Clear Sky and Crysis.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
its Decent. "descent" = go downwards. "decent" = not shameful / good.

Palit is considered a very innovative maker, typically making custom boards and cooling systems. I don't know how high a quality they are, but they are certainly innovative.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
I have a Palit 8800GT right now and it hasn't gone wrong yet...plus it had much better cooling than what other 8800GTs had at the time. I was a bit skeptical about trying them out but wouldn't hesitate to try them again. There's actually a Palit rep...I think his name is Palitguy...on these forums.

Wuzup101

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2002
Originally posted by: SunnyD
Palit = Gainward if I recall correctly. Gainward used to be one of the top notch manufacturers.

If that's true than I would have no qualms with them. Gainward was a great company back in the day, but I haven't been keeping up until recently. I was unaware of the name change.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Palit seems really committed as a Nvidia partner; they have good people working for them was my impression at NVISION08. Also a gaming team and they are committed to gaming.
- i like their attitude - they also have "palitguy" who haunts our forum and helps people - like the OCZ people do

No card will run Crysis or Clear Sky very well :(

i have 4870x-3 CF and it struggles with everything completely maxed at 19x12

rose.gif

i am thinking GX2 is the faster of the two cards

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: badnewcastle
PNY 9800 GX2 OC'd No Lifetime Warranty

Just another option, I prefer EVGA over PNY for warranty and service but what card is going to future proof me the most? 9800 GX2 or 4870?

Resolution is 1680x1050 on 22" widescreen.

there is no "future proof"

however, from looking at the benches - as long as the X2 scales - it is faster than 4870 and sometimes beats 280GTX .. but then you have issues of two hot GPUs on a single card

both cards are good for 16x10 .. so you will not have a problem with either card, i think

How about tossing GT260 into the mix? - it is the equal of 4870 :p
:D

badnewcastle

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2004
Originally posted by: apoppin
PNY 9800 GX2 OC'd No Lifetime Warranty

Just another option, I prefer EVGA over PNY for warranty and service but what card is going to future proof me the most? 9800 GX2 or 4870?

Resolution is 1680x1050 on 22" widescreen.

there is no "future proof"

however, from looking at the benches - as long as the X2 scales - it is faster than 4870 and sometimes beats 280GTX .. but then you have issues of two hot GPUs on a single card

both cards are good for 16x10 .. so you will not have a problem with either card, i think

How about tossing GT260 into the mix? - it is the equal of 4870 :p
:D

I thought about the GT260 as well, but for $20-40 more you can get the 9800 GX2 which is what I'm leaning towards at this point.

badnewcastle

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2004
I was just reading in another forum that the 9800 gx2 doesn't support 2 monitors, is that true? It's a very important factor. And is the 9800 gx2 basically sli on 1 pcb? I've already been down the sli road with 2 8800gt's and if it's anything similar, I will just go with a single gpu solution.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
I was just reading in another forum that the 9800 gx2 doesn't support 2 monitors, is that true? It's a very important factor. And is the 9800 gx2 basically sli on 1 pcb? I've already been down the sli road with 2 8800gt's and if it's anything similar, I will just go with a single gpu solution.

yep :p

You want 4870 or GT260

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Wuzup101
Originally posted by: SunnyD
Palit = Gainward if I recall correctly. Gainward used to be one of the top notch manufacturers.

If that's true than I would have no qualms with them. Gainward was a great company back in the day, but I haven't been keeping up until recently. I was unaware of the name change.

I think Palit now owns Gainward...you can still buy Gainward cards...just not in North America. However, Palit sells basically the same cards as Gainward so you're not missing anything.

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
never had Palit before but got a gainward once, seemed to be fine. I like that Palit put nicer coolers on their cards but if I were you I will check to see how they honor RMAs/warranties etc. That's more telling of a company. Like eVGA/BFG/XFX are top because they do a nice job servicing parts from customers.

F1shF4t

Golden Member
Oct 18, 2005
The Palit 4870 is a nice card, keeps cooler than the stock one. But its really loud unless you mod it. The little 70mm fan is at full speed all the time and will give you a nice cut if you accidently get your fingers close to it.

For my card I just soldered a standard 3pin fan connector to it and set it to silent using mainboard's qfan. Its a lot quiter and still cool. Also I would not recomend having this card in crossfire unless you have the side of your case off (or have extraction fans there). Since it doesn't blow air outside of the case it just heats up a lot more cause it recycles hot air. Luckily I got only one of these (second card is a stock cooler one) and still can manage the temps, two of them would be impossible for me to run together with the side on. (I've got a TT Armour case)