Palin: 'When you're here, let's speak American'

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bradley

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2000
American is a language.

Just take English, then fill it with "bastard" and "son of a bitch".

Good times.

American is a dialect of the English language. I've also seen it called General American and US English. And yes, the speaking of American English should be encouraged, perhaps even subsidized. It makes our society way more efficient... this is just basic common sense, sometimes bereft of political beings. But no, it should never be mandated. Just as there should never be a single state religion either.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
We've been through this before, probably more than once. For instance, Benjamin Franklin was definitely afraid English would be displaced as the primary language ~260 years ago when he wrote this: (An excerpt from Benjamin Franklin's Letter to Peter Collinson.)

Those who come hither are generally of the most ignorant Stupid Sort of their own Nation… Not being used to Liberty, they know not how to make a modest use of it; and as Kolben says of the young Hottentots, that they are not esteemed men till they have shewn their manhood by beating their mothers, so these seem to think themselves not free, till they can feel their liberty in abusing and insulting their Teachers.

…now they come in droves, and carry all before them, except in one or two Counties; Few of their children in the Country learn English…They begin of late to make all their Bonds and other legal Writings in their own Language, which (though I think it ought not to be) are allowed good in our Courts…there is continual need of Interpreters; and I suppose in a few years they will be also necessary in the Assembly, to tell one half of our Legislators what the other half say; In short unless the stream of their importation could be turned from this to other colonies, as you very judiciously propose, they will soon so out number us, that all the advantages we have will not in My Opinion be able to preserve our language, and even our Government will become precarious.

http://teachingamericanhistory.org/library/document/letter-to-peter-collinson/

Sounds remarkably like the arguments being made today. So, what happened? Is our primary language in the U.S. today English or is it the language Franklin was so worried about dominating and pushing out English as the primary language.....which was German.

In fact, English has become such a worldwide used language, other countries have attempted to curb English's takeover. And it's not surprising, given how English has invaded the world. English is the de facto language of science, aviation, etc. worldwide. And those are just two very simple but pervasive examples of how English has grown to a worldwide language.....this doesn't even acknowledge our music, movies, etc., that are consumed worldwide.

If anyone should fret about their "official" language being overrun, it's everyone else, not the U.S.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Funny. My mother came from France in the 1950s as a little girl. Her mother couldn't speak a lick of English when she was here. Did society make a stink about it? Nope

Why all the bitching now? Could it be that the majority of people who are immigrating to America are from every other country, but Europe? When older people immigrate to America the chance that they are going to speak English is going to be nil. But, their children pick up English very easily and are speaking it within a year.

So, what's the problem?

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
We've been through this before, probably more than once. For instance, Benjamin Franklin was definitely afraid English would be displaced as the primary language ~260 years ago when he wrote this: (An excerpt from Benjamin Franklin's Letter to Peter Collinson.)

http://teachingamericanhistory.org/library/document/letter-to-peter-collinson/

Sounds remarkably like the arguments being made today. So, what happened? Is our primary language in the U.S. today English or is it the language Franklin was so worried about dominating and pushing out English as the primary language.....which was German.

In fact, English has become such a worldwide used language, other countries have attempted to curb English's takeover. And it's not surprising, given how English has invaded the world. English is the de facto language of science, aviation, etc. worldwide. And those are just two very simple but pervasive examples of how English has grown to a worldwide language.....this doesn't even acknowledge our music, movies, etc., that are consumed worldwide.

If anyone should fret about their "official" language being overrun, it's everyone else, not the U.S.

Exactly. I've lived in Asia and just about every young person was taking English to better their lives. It's not going to take over, but it is the language that's used in business meetings, programming and other highly competitive industries. Everyone at an early age knows English.

This is why I find it hilarious when Americans complain that people should always speak English when they are in America. When I was in South Korea the Koreans were never like "You speak Korean!" I just chalk it up to one thing: Ignorance! Most Americans have never EVER left their city, let alone been to a foreign country. Once you do this your world will expand. But you see most Americans have never traveled overseas, so their world is contracting. They have a narrow view of the world. This is a reason why I refuse to watch the news. The world is an amazing place to experience, but when you watch the news you are left feeling quite the opposite. So, you become scared of everything. A sad way to live.

Last edited:

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Sounds reasonable. Libtards would rather America mirror the Balkans.

I will never understand Libtards' desire to have eternal conflict.

If only they could be more like conservatives. The people of peace. :colbert:

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
American is a language.

Just take English, then fill it with "bastard" and "son of a bitch".

Good times.

There is another part to America; South America.

Oh! She wants to habla espanol / fala português!

And here I thought she was a raging racist and bigot,.. she wants us to embrace the South American languages, since there ARE more South Americans than United States Americans in America.

Wait - I thought the liberals wanted the U.S. to be overrun by Latinos, not conservatives,...

???

Last edited:

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
That's right Sarah, you go ahead and cozy up to Trump, totally get people thinking you want to join his campaign. :D

John McCain is probably laughing his ass off now. People have forgotten about how Caribou Barbie follows and feeds off of election money in worrying times, as well as the shall we say corroding effect her name brings as support.

Maybe this is Palin's latest (and likely only remaining) utility for Ailes and Murdock; a living, breathing, (American) talking political dead weight that will work the same wonders for Trump as she did for McCain.

"Energy Secretary"? Heh, please. Woman, you're not mentally fit to be an actual secretary, I know 4th graders who are smarter than you. Fuck off back to Alaska, go raise some grandchildren.

Feb 4, 2009
I get her point but its still idiotic. Bush was addressing native Spanish speakers its not odd.
I do find foreign language speaking on trains and stuff irritating but honestly who am I to say speak English to someone having a conversation I'm not part of?

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
She became a millionaire being a talking head. As long as she stays relevant to some, the money will keep coming for very little work. The inability for cable news to provide real news lets her keep doing just that.

Nov 8, 2012
I'm good with a common language. I'm not in favor of an official language. Let folks sort that out on their own.

Sorry, there needs to be an official language.

When I say that, I mean that when you walk into a government office you should have the expectation that they can read, understand, and speak the official language.

The problem we have is people are going into offices and DEMANDING that they speak their language because they are too ignorant to learn English. I've seen it in Stores, Banks, Government offices, etc.. It's getting pathetic and downright sad.

Speak your own language all you want in your own conversations (public or private). I don't give a shit. But don't walk into a place of business and expect Bi-lingual people to be there to serve your needs because you are too fucking lazy to learn the language of the nation. Only certain people immigrate here and are pathetic enough to expect that.

Also, Sarah Palin is hands down the most successful troll for you liberals. I can see you guys now foaming at the mouth every time she makes a headliner.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2009

When I say that, I mean that when you walk into a government office you should have the expectation that they can read, understand, and speak the official language.

The problem we have is people are going into offices and DEMANDING that they speak their language because they are too ignorant to learn English. I've seen it in Stores, Banks, Government offices, etc.. It's getting pathetic and downright sad.

Speak your own language all you want in your own conversations (public or private). I don't give a shit. But don't walk into a place of business and expect Bi-lingual people to be there to serve your needs because you are too fucking lazy to learn the language of the nation. Only certain people immigrate here and are pathetic enough to expect that.

Also, Sarah Palin is hands down the most successful troll for you liberals. I can see you guys now foaming at the mouth every time she makes a headliner.

So I assume you'd be ok if a vote happened and it became Spanish.

Nov 8, 2012
So I assume you'd be ok if a vote happened and it became Spanish.

That wouldn't happen. Ever. We are heavily based on the business world, and the unofficial language of any and all business (global) is English. No question.

But considering your hypothetical, and considering I am bilingual... I wouldn't have any problem with it.

Nice try ;)

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003

This is why no one takes your kind seriously. The detachments you maintain can be nothing short of amazing.

Liberals would like nothing more than this bimbo to become an icon of the Republican party - she has become synonymous with stupidity and hypocrisy, why on earth would liberals have a problem with their opponent using that as some kind of rallying figure? Seriously, time to get a more current talking point. I recommend one that doesn't suffer as much in the face of logic.

I guess it figures your concept of trolling would be so skewed. How much money does Sarah Palin get from liberals? She's been trolling the teahadi and socially conservative republicans to the tune of several thousand to millions of dollars a year, for the last eight years or so. If anyone is foaming at the mouth it's the conservatives with functioning grey matter who thought this witch had already dried up and blown away. It's only your kind who view her as anything more than an abnormally unintelligent talking head who chases publicity and cash at a moments notice.

Look, just focus on the notion that the language of Shakespeare, the modern day language of business (and that's according to CHINA!) really isn't going anywhere, anytime soon, and you just might find yourself feeling less outraged over something you have no control of in the first place. Happy Labor Day.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009

Have you ever experienced what you fear won't happen, that you will walk into any U.S./state govt. office and find they're speaking German or Portuguese or Spanish or Arabic or Russian and no one speaks English?

Do you ever think it'll happen? Why?

As you mention, English is the de facto standard throughout the world in business, as well as in science and scientific research--incl. medicine, aviation and maritime industries, to name a few. If anything, English is displacing native languages in other countries, not what Palin is braying about.

Nov 8, 2012
Have you ever experienced what you fear won't happen, that you will walk into any U.S./state govt. office and find they're speaking German or Portuguese or Spanish or Arabic or Russian and no one speaks English?

Do you ever think it'll happen? Why?

As you mention, English is the de facto standard throughout the world in business, as well as in science and scientific research--incl. medicine, aviation and maritime industries, to name a few. If anything, English is displacing native languages in other countries, not what Palin is braying about.

Plenty of times. I mentioned it in a previous thread numerous times I have seen people in Walmart demanding that someone that speaks Spanish serve her needs.

I've seen it in Banks when they are depositing their under the table (non taxed) income.

I haven't witnessed it in a government office (mostly because I will renew my Drivers license via mail before I'm caught dead waiting @ a DPS), but guess what? They have a driver's license too.

I'm guessing you're one of the many liberals here that live in bumfuck middle of the states and has no idea what it's like to have a mass influx of hispanics. But you have this one mexican friend, so that means you fully understand what it's like, right?

Last edited:

Murloc

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2008
Plenty of times. I mentioned it in a previous thread numerous times I have seen people in Walmart demanding that someone that speaks Spanish serve her needs.

I've seen it in Banks when they are depositing their under the table (non taxed) income.

I haven't witnessed it in a government office (mostly because I will renew my Drivers license via mail before I'm caught dead waiting @ a DPS), but guess what? They have a driver's license too.

I'm guessing you're one of the many liberals here that live in bumfuck middle of the states and has no idea what it's like to have a mass influx of hispanics. But you have this one mexican friend, so that means you fully understand what it's like, right?
well they can ask if someone speaks Spanish, nobody bans that, it just can't be expected, i.e. no effort should be made on the part of public offices to provide that, IF it creates additional costs. If a worker happens to speak spanish by chance, him helping out is not a cost to the taxpayer. Forms should definitely not be translated to Spanish though, that costs money.

Demanding is just a not nice way of asking. Businesses can refuse the request regardless.
Businesses can also choose to cater to foreigners as well, it's normal for hotels here to require knowledge of German for their front desk personnel. Businesses can do whatever they want actually. It's private stuff. It's worth legislating that stuff only if it's a language protection issue like in Québec where the signs have to be in French.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
I am super mad that sometimes I have to press 1 in order to get an English-speaking robot to make me jump through 20 hoops before getting someone to help me, when I call some corporation that is worshiped by the right for outsourcing its work force to some other country in order to provide shareholders and executives better short-term quarterly profits.

OUTRAGED!

What a joke.

English doesn't have to be the "official" language, because if you don't learn it and live in the United States, you never get beyond a job picking cabbage or mopping a bathroom. It's why the second generation immigrant speaks fluent English with an accent, and the third-generation immigrant can't speak a lick of their grandparent's native language.

This is just one more policy-alternative that Republicans have to scream about because the actual policies they want implemented are massive losers.

Some day, when the conservative party abandons the fever swamps and comes back to reality, we can debate the merits of policies that help real-life people, instead of these wedge/non-issue/policy-alternatives they froth at the mouth about to establish tribal affiliation.

Some day.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009

First, no "mexican" friends, sorry. Have a couple of black friend, tho, does that count?

Second, unless GA is in the middle of the U.S., no, I don't live in bumfuck middle of the states. Actually, grew up in GA in the 1950's-'60's, have lived in SC, FL, TX, NoVA (Arlington), TN/KY (right on the border), MA, NJ. And I can assure you amongst those states that I've lived in, I've had a ton of exposure to migrant Hispanic workers, esp. the southern states. We had the migrant kids who'd come to school for a while as their parents worked the area, then they'd head off to a new area....year after year. And, oddly, they spoke English. Imagine that.

As for your liberal epitaph that I suppose was to be an insult, ehhhh. I was a registered Republican when I voted for Nixon. I am more a moderate these days, butdo tend to lean a little progressive vs. the ultraconservative religious fundamentalism that has consumed the Republican party. Sad, that.

But what I take away from your argument is ........ nothing. So what if you've seen people in a store asking for help in Spanish. If the store feels like accommodating them, great. If not, c'est la vie. No requirement to do so, esp. if you don't mind missing the sale.

I do find most interesting is this statement:
"I've seen it in Banks when they are depositing their under the table (non taxed) income."

How'd you determine that? Their money branded as paid under the table or untaxed? hmmmmmm???????

Last edited:

dawheat

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
I do find most interesting is this statement:
"I've seen it in Banks when they are depositing their under the table (non taxed) income."

How'd you determine that? Their money branded as paid under the table or untaxed? hmmmmmm???????

I actually found that comment hilarious for exposing his prejudices and ignorance all at once.

News flash - if you're trying to hide income from the IRS, the last thing you'd do is deposit it into a bank account, especially a cash deposit. It's easily tracked and easily seized.