Palin: 'When you're here, let's speak American'

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cyclohexane

Platinum Member
Feb 12, 2005
Plenty of times. I mentioned it in a previous thread numerous times I have seen people in Walmart demanding that someone that speaks Spanish serve her needs.

I've seen it in Banks when they are depositing their under the table (non taxed) income.

I haven't witnessed it in a government office (mostly because I will renew my Drivers license via mail before I'm caught dead waiting @ a DPS), but guess what? They have a driver's license too.
I'm guessing you're one of the many liberals here that live in bumfuck middle of the states and has no idea what it's like to have a mass influx of hispanics. But you have this one mexican friend, so that means you fully understand what it's like, right?

Any why is that wrong? There is nothing magic about English. Spanish has been spoken in the new world since the 1400s, far longer than English.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
American is a language.

Just take English, then fill it with "bastard" and "son of a bitch".

Good times.

Idiocracy has it covered. And I think Palin falls into this perfectly with her brand of yokel.

Unaware of what year it was, Joe wandered the streets desperate for help. But the English language had deteriorated into a hybrid of hillbilly, valleygirl, inner-city slang and various grunts. Joe was able to understand them, but when he spoke in an ordinary voice he sounded pompous and faggy to them.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
American is a dialect of the English language. I've also seen it called General American and US English. And yes, the speaking of American English should be encouraged, perhaps even subsidized. It makes our society way more efficient... this is just basic common sense, sometimes bereft of political beings. But no, it should never be mandated. Just as there should never be a single state religion either.

It should be mandated to speak, and read/write English before becoming a citizen. But of course with the huge number of illegals they push spanish on every ATM and when you call whatever company over the phone. I shouldn't have to press one for English, we're in fucking America.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
To conservatives American is defined...

ebonics = ignorant
dropping "Gs" off the end of words is folksy

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
It should be mandated to speak, and read/write English before becoming a citizen. But of course with the huge number of illegals they push spanish on every ATM and when you call whatever company over the phone. I shouldn't have to press one for English, we're in fucking America.

So we should have literacy test because of hispanic illegals before they become citizens (which they can't) because you're too lazy to press a button on a phone.

Have you taken a job as a Trump policy advisor?

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
To conservatives American is defined...

ebonics = ignorant
dropping "Gs" off the end of words is folksy

Ebonics is ignorant, the entire point of it was to celebrate ignorance. That's why everyone had such a good laugh when they wanted to "teach" it in Oakland schools.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Ebonics is ignorant, the entire point of it was to celebrate ignorance. That's why everyone had such a good laugh when they wanted to "teach" it in Oakland schools.

and dropping g's off the end of words is folksy.

proves my point

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
If you live in Mexico they speak American. Mexico is part of North America. Same goes for those who speak French in Canada. I blame it all on King George.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
If you live in Mexico they speak American. Mexico is part of North America. Same goes for those who speak French in Canada. I blame it all on King George.

Careful cause you will confuse Lil' Sarah. She doesn't know the difference between countries and continents. That came out when she was running for VP during a debate practice.

Isn't it amazing the GOP and Fox News thought this woman was qualified until 2 years ago. How can anyone trust their opinions.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Are you saying that private companies shouldn't have control over their own phone systems just so you won't be inconvenienced?

Nov 25, 2013
I'm missing your point. Who drops the g's off the end of words?

Sarah Palin sure does. It doesn't get much 'folksier' (or dumber) than this:

"Man, the middle-class everyday Americans are really gettin’ taken for a ride.’ That's status quo, and GOP leaders, by the way, y'know the man can only ride ya when your back is bent. So strengthen it. Then the man can't ride ya, America won't be taken for a ride, because so much is at stake and we can't afford politicians playing games like nothing more is at stake than, oh, maybe just the next standing of theirs in the next election."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/25/sarah-palin-iowa-speech_n_6543762.html

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Don't worry, Obama is gonna make Swahili the Official Language of the US before he leaves office.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Sarah Palin sure does. It doesn't get much 'folksier' (or dumber) than this:

"Man, the middle-class everyday Americans are really gettin’ taken for a ride.’ That's status quo, and GOP leaders, by the way, y'know the man can only ride ya when your back is bent. So strengthen it. Then the man can't ride ya, America won't be taken for a ride, because so much is at stake and we can't afford politicians playing games like nothing more is at stake than, oh, maybe just the next standing of theirs in the next election."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/25/sarah-palin-iowa-speech_n_6543762.html

Got it.
I forgive her, she's got a great rack.