Palin to visit United Nations to shore up her foreign policy credentials

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
McCain's camp is now a circus. Isn't it cute how he's taking her on a date around New York, showing her off like a Trophy Wife? I like what one poster said:

Then after she goes to the UN for an hour to ?meet foreign leaders? and establish her security/foreign policy credentials, McCain will take her to a hospital, so she can establish her ?health care? credentials; then they will go out in the street and meet a whole bunch of African-Americans, Hispanics, and Asians to check off the ?diversity? credentials; then they can ride the subway for one stop to clarify her ?infrastructure? credentials; and then, finally, she can use her ATM card at a bank branch down on Wall Street so she can demonstrate her expertise on the financial markets.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/...eaders-at-un/?mod=blog

Palin to Meet Foreign Leaders at U.N.
Monica Langley reports on the presidential race.

Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin will meet with foreign leaders next week at the United Nations, a move to boost her foreign-policy credentials, a Republican strategist said.

Republican candidate John McCain plans to introduce the Alaska governor to heads of state at the opening of the U.N. General Assembly, although specific names weren?t yet firmed up. ?The meetings will give her some exposure and experience with foreign leaders,? the strategist said. ?It?s a great idea.?

McCain and Palin are expected to visit the U.N. on Tuesday, when President George W. Bush will address the international body.

Since her nomination, Palin has energized the Republican base, drawn huge crowds and propelled fund-raising. However, Democrats have attacked her as weak on foreign policy experience. Even on last week?s ?Saturday Night Live,? actress Tina Fey spoofed Palin?s assertion that she is familiar with issues involving Russia, noting that Alaska is nearby. ?I can see Russia from my house!? Fey-as-Palin said.

But McCain advisers hope her U.N. visit will show how quickly Palin can make key connections and become well-versed in foreign-policy issues.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Reminds me of that 2000 SNL mock debate skit where W just recited names of foriegn leaders (poorly) to prove his "worldliness"

lol

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
I think this might backfire.. I mean don't they take the 2nd graders in NYC public schools to the U.N. on field trips to learn about government?

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
God damn, this really is like "My Fair Lady"

Someone better tell her not to laugh when the Japanese Ambassador calls her "Ms. Parin"

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Then after she goes to the UN for an hour to ?meet foreign leaders? and establish her security/foreign policy credentials, McCain will take her to a hospital, so she can establish her ?health care? credentials; then they will go out in the street and meet a whole bunch of African-Americans, Hispanics, and Asians to check off the ?diversity? credentials; then they can ride the subway for one stop to clarify her ?infrastructure? credentials; and then, finally, she can use her ATM card at a bank branch down on Wall Street so she can demonstrate her expertise on the financial markets.

Priceless.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
So who is she shadowing on "Take your ridiculously inexperienced VP nom to work" day???

:)

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Laugh all you want, but Palin and Palin alone said no to the bridge to nowhere when everybody else wanted it. She saw it for the pork barrel expense it was, told Congress "thanks, but NO THANKS" and reformed Alaska.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
So now we're going to take random blog/forum entries and paste them here as news stories. Besides fully punching your hacks-r-us IAMTOOL card, this shows real promise.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Laugh all you want, but Palin and Palin alone said no to the bridge to nowhere when everybody else wanted it. She saw it for the pork barrel expense it was, told Congress "thanks, but NO THANKS" and reformed Alaska.

You jest, but people are actually using that areguement seriously...

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: Imp

We know, they are the two on the Republican ticket and America is calling them liars.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

:laugh:

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Dari

We know, they are the two on the Republican ticket and America is calling them liars.

Fortunately for reality, this lies schtick ain't got nearly as much traction as yall are telling yourselves.

Bottom Line
During the Democratic primary season, Hillary Clinton's campaign representatives issued steady complaints that their candidate wasn't getting the same favorable treatment that Obama was receiving from the media. That charge seemed to filter into public opinion in July, when Gallup found as many Americans saying media coverage of Obama was too positive as said it was about right. This included 60% of Republicans and 22% of Democrats.

That sentiment has simmered down somewhat, although there is a persistent tilt toward believing Obama is getting a break from the media.

Today, there is much more controversy among Americans about the media's coverage of Palin. More than half are dissatisfied with the nature of coverage of her, saying it is either too positive or too negative. This seems to reflect the raging political pundit debate over whether the media's commentary on Palin's governmental qualifications and personal life has gone too far.

Whether valid, or merely a political tactic, the election-year shots at the media for biased coverage seem to be eroding public confidence in the entire news media as a reputable institution.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000

I know, it's one of 6 or 8 key points on a mccain palin add I saw yesterday. I thought maybe it was an obama ad and he'd call them out for lying at the end, but nope, they really are claiming she said that.

Buck Armstrong

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2004

And she can see Russia from her house. That's plenty of foreign policy experience. They're neighbors for fuck's sake.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Originally posted by: lupi
Originally posted by: Dari

Fortunately for reality, this lies schtick ain't got nearly as much traction as yall are telling yourselves.

Bottom Line
During the Democratic primary season, Hillary Clinton's campaign representatives issued steady complaints that their candidate wasn't getting the same favorable treatment that Obama was receiving from the media. That charge seemed to filter into public opinion in July, when Gallup found as many Americans saying media coverage of Obama was too positive as said it was about right. This included 60% of Republicans and 22% of Democrats.

That sentiment has simmered down somewhat, although there is a persistent tilt toward believing Obama is getting a break from the media.

Today, there is much more controversy among Americans about the media's coverage of Palin. More than half are dissatisfied with the nature of coverage of her, saying it is either too positive or too negative. This seems to reflect the raging political pundit debate over whether the media's commentary on Palin's governmental qualifications and personal life has gone too far.

Whether valid, or merely a political tactic, the election-year shots at the media for biased coverage seem to be eroding public confidence in the entire news media as a reputable institution.

It was funny I was watching an old SNL episode and they had a skit where the media was falling all over Hillary and didn't care about the other candidates. This was before Obama took over. Then he takes the lead and they do a skit that says he is favored.

I'm not criticizing SNL but it just goes to show how bullshit these media bias claims are. You get bad media coverage when you start lying to the media and you bring in a completely unqualified individual that nobody knows to be your VP.. you can bet people will start doing a lot of digging because we only have 50 days to get to know this person who may end up leading our country.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
reminds me of that time that one presidential candidate with no foreign policy credentials took a guided tour of Europe and claimed it gave him all the experience needed.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: loki8481
reminds me of that time that one presidential candidate with no foreign policy took a guided tour of Europe and claimed it gave him all the experience needed.

Ah to see through koolaid colored lenses.

Buck Armstrong

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2004
reminds me of that time that one presidential candidate with no foreign policy credentials took a guided tour of Europe and claimed it gave him all the experience needed.

While I see your point, I very much enjoyed the sight of 200,000 Germans waving American flags. Usually a crowd of that size assembling in Germany makes the world nervous because it almost always precedes an invasion of Poland. :laugh:

It was a welcome change from the 2000 that usually assemble on Bush's route to flip him off.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Buck Armstrong

While I see your point, I very much enjoyed the sight of 200,000 Germans waving American flags. Usually a crowd of that size assembling in Germany makes the world nervous because it almost always precedes an invasion of Poland. :laugh:

It was a welcome change from the 2000 that usually assemble on Bush's route to flip him off.

I wonder where the french embassy staff was that day :)

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
She should first take a college level geography class so she can actually identify the places she's visiting.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: SP33Demon
She should first take a college level geography class so she can actually identify the places she's visiting.

yep, otherwise she'd possibly lose some of that youth vote.

"I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, um, some people out there in our nation don't have maps and, uh, I believe that our, uh, education like such as, uh, South Africa and, uh, the Iraq and everywhere like such as, and I believe that they should, uh, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., uh, should help South Africa and should help Iraq and the Asian countries, so we will be able to build up our future."

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
I just wanted to say congrats to P&N for not responding to the obvious trolls within. Maybe someday when we ignore them completely they will disappear...

Now if you excuse me, I have to go watch some Law and Order to shore up my legal experience.