Palin: Iraq War And Alaska Gas Pipeline = "God's Will."

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Sarah Palin is entitled to her beliefs, but her god is not my god. When she pimps a gas pipeline for that same deity, she's just a dingbat making the most of her fifteen minutes, but remembering that the eighth or ninth (depending on which version of which "true" religion you accept) of the Ten Commandments in Judeo-Christian theology states, "Thou shalt not bear false witness," when she publicly pimps the Bushwhackos' war of LIES in Iraq as the will of her pathetic deity, she is patently unfit for public office.

We're almost done with one jackass President who, as of 9/5/08, squandered the lives of 4,155 American troops in a war he told us he believes he was the will of his ooga booga deity. That's exactly what the radical Islamic terrorists tell their sheep, too.

E-fucking-NOUGH! In the United States of America, NO candidate for the highest, or even second highest, office in the nation has any business pushing their own religious beliefs to justify whatever agenda they advocate.

Story from AP

Palin: Iraq war 'a task that is from God'

By GENE JOHNSON, Associated Press Writer Wed Sep 3, 10:48 PM ET

ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin told ministry students at her former church that the United States sent troops to fight in the Iraq war on a "task that is from God."

In an address last June, the Republican vice presidential candidate also urged ministry students to pray for a plan to build a $30 billion natural gas pipeline in the state, calling it "God's will."

Palin asked the students to pray for the troops in Iraq, and noted that her eldest son, Track, was expected to be deployed there.

"Our national leaders are sending them out on a task that is from God," she said. "That's what we have to make sure that we're praying for, that there is a plan and that plan is God's plan."

A video of the speech was posted at the Wasilla Assembly of God's Web site before finding its way on to other sites on the Internet.

Palin told graduating students of the church's School of Ministry, "What I need to do is strike a deal with you guys." As they preached the love of Jesus throughout Alaska, she said, she'd work to implement God's will from the governor's office, including creating jobs by building a pipeline to bring North Slope natural gas to North American markets.

"God's will has to be done in unifying people and companies to get that gas line built, so pray for that," she said.

"I can do my job there in developing our natural resources and doing things like getting the roads paved and making sure our troopers have their cop cars and their uniforms and their guns, and making sure our public schools are funded," she added. "But really all of that stuff doesn't do any good if the people of Alaska's heart isn't right with God."

Palin attended the evangelical church from the time she was a teenager until 2002, the church said in a statement posted on its Web site. She has continued to attend special conferences and meetings there. Religious conservatives have welcomed her selection as John McCain's running mate.

The Assemblies of God, which claims nearly 3 million members, is one of the biggest Pentecostal groups in the U.S. Unlike most other Christians ? including most evangelicals ? Pentecostals believe in "baptism in the Holy Spirit." That can manifest itself through speaking in tongues, modern-day prophesy and faith healing. The Assemblies of God teaches that spirit baptism must be accompanied by speaking in tongues. Still, some churchgoers never have the experience.

Rob Boston, a spokesman for Americans United for Separation of Church and State, lamented Palin's comments.

"I miss the days when pastors delivered sermons and politicians delivered political speeches," he said. "The United States is increasingly diverse religiously. The job of a president is to unify all those different people and bring them together around policy goals, not to act as a kind of national pastor and bring people to God."

The section of the church's Web site where videos of past sermons were posted was shut down Wednesday, and a message was posted saying that the site "was never intended to handle the traffic it has received in the last few days."

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I have to admit all that talk of ?god?s will? is unnerving.

Still, if people make a choice between the ?lesser of two evils?, who wins? Communist or Wingnut? If all a person believes is that they have to vote R or D then this topic matters very little.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
This is why she's strong with the Christian conservative base, and a hard sell for the moderates McCain needs to win the White House.

Harvey

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Jaskalas

I have to admit all that talk of ?god?s will? is unnerving.

That speaks well for you. I just hope there are more thinking "conservatives" who value the U.S. Constitution and rational thought above their personal religious beliefs when chosing leaders empowered to act in the name of, and on behalf of, all of our citizens.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
This will be great for bringing in the base, but that's not what they need. This kind of thing will alienate the moderates. Especially all the "end times" talk.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
ummm, I'm not on the same page as Palin, and I'm not a Christian myself, but how can you criticize someone for merely sticking to a very basic and peaceful tenet of their faith? Christians believe that everything is God's will and that God is omniscient.

Therefore, I'd expect the same from ANY Christian... especially while addressing crowds that are predominantly Christian.

As an Obama supporter myself, I don't think that it's a very good idea to harp on her adamant faith... *cough*Reverend Wright*cough*....

QED

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2005
So you're upset that she's asking people (at a churh, no less) to pray there is a plan for the war in Iraq, and that the plan would be God's plan?

:confused:

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: palehorse
ummm, I'm not on the same page as Palin, and I'm not a Christian myself, but how can you criticize someone for merely sticking to a very basic and peaceful tenet of their faith? Christians believe that everything is God's will and that God is omniscient.

not trying to derail, but does an omniscient god conflict with free will.

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003

Therefore, I'd expect the same from ANY Christian... especially while addressing crowds that are predominantly Christian.

As an Obama supporter myself, I don't think that it's a very good idea to harp on her adamant faith... *cough*Reverend Wright*cough*....
Saying it's God's will for her to build a pipeline is the very essence of exploiting religion for political gain, and has nothing to do with faith.

For example, lets imagine she said it's God's will that murderers are punished. I'm sure the religious among her would agree, but so would the non-religious. It's something that's universal; it's an actual basic tenet of society and religion.

But saying something as inconsequential as a gas pipeline is part of God's will does damage. People who believe her will support her and the pipeline, while people who disagree with her are marked as going against God's will.

It drags a mere political disagreement into the arena of religion. Religion and politics should never mix. Palin was full of shit when she said this, in more ways than one.

Harvey

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: loki8481

R?

Is that a giant R in your post, or are you just glad to see me? Does it stand for Republican, or are you trying to tell me something? :p

Note the date on the article, September 3. Where's the previous thread?

Stating her belief is one thing. Claiming to know the will of her deity to pimp the actions she would take in the name of all American citizens is quite another.

I repeat, that's what George W. Bush claims as his excuse for lying to send Americans to their deaths in Iraq. That's what Sarah Palin claims is justification for supporting that war of LIES.

And that's exactly the same bullshit rationale radical Islamic fundies claim as justification for killing us.

Whose deity do you want to believe? I'm sure there are lots of sheep out there willing to kill others to satisfy the blood lust of whatever ooga booga deity their religious leaders can sell to them. :roll:

And plenty of bridges and roads to nowhere that some deity really needs built.

andy04

Dec 14, 2006
Great Post!!! dont forget to refill you kool-aid at the Harvey stand before you leave

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: andy04
Great Post!!! dont forget to refill you kool-aid at the Harvey stand before you leave

The Harvey Kool-Aid is at least eye-opening (albeit somewhat unpleasant), where his competitor's stuff tastes a bit better at first, but leaves you brain-dead and unable to think for yourself. ;)

Harvey

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: andy04

Thanks for the bump, jackass. Come back anytime you want to continue proving you have nothing to say and far too many words to say it. :laugh:

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Harvey

R?

Is that a giant R in your post, or are you just glad to see me? Does it stand for Republican, or are you trying to tell me something? :p

I think he is referring to this one posted on 9/2. It looks like AP picked up the story and ran with it on 9/3.
http://forums.anandtech.com/me...id=52&threadid=2223702

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: jpeyton
But saying something as inconsequential as a gas pipeline is part of God's will does damage.
Not if it would bring prosperity, hope, success, and happiness to the majority of her constituents. Your narrow outsider perspective isn't helping... I'm sure the pipeline was a very consequential development for the people Palin was speaking to.

It drags a mere political disagreement into the arena of religion. Religion and politics should never mix. Palin was full of shit when she said this, in more ways than one.
I have no problem with the two mixing as long as the one doing the mixing remains true to his/her own character, and that the mix is done with good -- non-selfish -- intent.

Once again, it's not unusual for a Christian to believe that everything is God's will -- and it's certainly not "crazy"...

Stating her belief is one thing. Claiming to know the will of her deity to pimp the actions she would take in the name of all American citizens is quite another.

I repeat, that's what George W. Bush claims as his excuse for lying to send Americans to their deaths in Iraq. That's what Sarah Palin claims is justification for supporting that war of LIES.

And that's exactly the same bullshit rationale radical Islamic fundies claim as justification for killing us.

Whose deity do you want to believe? I'm sure there are lots of sheep out there willing to kill others to satisfy the blood lust of whatever ooga booga deity their religious leaders can sell to them. :roll:

And plenty of bridges and roads to nowhere that some deity really needs built.
I simply don't see that as the case here. As far as I can tell, thus far, Palin is neither crazy or selfish -- and I have no problem with her, or anyone, having and proclaiming faith.

I try to respect others' beliefs, as long as those beliefs remain peaceful, even if they are vastly different than my own.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Lanyap

R?

I think he is referring to this one posted on 9/2. It looks like AP picked up the story and ran with it on 9/3.
http://forums.anandtech.com/me...id=52&threadid=2223702

Who would have thought that this would be a JP original and a Harvey repost, I mean, just think for a moment, imagine those odds.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Saying it's God's will for her to build a pipeline is the very essence of exploiting religion for political gain, and has nothing to do with faith.
JP she made that statement in her church.

Find her saying it at some official state function then you might have a point. Otherwise you are just grasping at straws.

Playmaker

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000

Uh, because it borders on insanity? I find it shocking that we could end up (again) with a leader that clearly makes decisions based on a superstitious belief in some "omniscient" being. We should be outgrowing this ridiculous phase of cultural development like most other developed nations. This is a disheartening step backward.

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
Statement: It's God's will that McCain/Palin lose.

Discuss.

Coldkilla

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2004
Statement: It's God's will that McCain/Palin lose.

Discuss.

If this was Obama, the press would eat him alive... but since its: A. A women. B. "Sexist". C. Can be used against him by reusing the stupid Wright stuff.

It seems every flaw of this Palin chick cannot be talked about because the Dems are scared to go on the attack. --But it's probably a good strategy.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Everything is God's will, and with the vast majority of the country being religious, this isn't a criticism that will win you guys many votes.

TheBDB

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2002
Are there any religious people here who believe everything is god's will, but disagree with her about the necessity of a pipeline? How would that make you feel. That would mean she was disobeying god's will. What if you disagreed about the pipeline, but weren't sure what god's will was...maybe she IS right and you are wrong. Maybe you should trust she has an inside connection to god and knows what he really wants.

Stuff like this really makes my head spin. I don't believe in god, but if I did I hope I would demand more a justification for something other than some person telling me it is what god wants.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: JD50
Everything is God's will, and with the vast majority of the country being religious, this isn't a criticism that will win you guys many votes.

Sure if you're an evangelical interested in stifling meaningful debate about any issue. I'm sure that's the excuse Iran uses when it keeps it's centrifuges going, or when a suicide bomber blows herself up in a crowd people.

In their minds, they are doing god's will, and that sir, is antithetical to our American principles.

You are dead wrong in thinking that the majority of Americans buy into this drive-by proselytizing.