Palin agrees to interview

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Perknose
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY
<Crickets>

Now watch, folks, because CAD can' help himself and he has NEVER, EVER, admitted he was wrong.

He will come here with a reply chock full of baseless attacks and shameless diversions, without even once admitting that he can't name even one cadidate who has given no interveiws after THE END of their convention . . .

Not for 5 days

Not for 4 days

Not for 3 days.

Not one, not ever. But he won't even mention that. Just watch.

What am I wrong about? Uhh... nothing. I didn't make claims that others didn't do interviews so your bleating is nothing but a strawman.

What did I tell you, folks? CAD the weasel troll. He'll never fail to live down to your expectations, no matter how low you set them.

lol, the only thing people see is your straw man being called. Do you have anything REAL to attack me on or do you have to make something else up?

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Evan Lieb
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY
OMG!!!! OH TEH NOESSS!!!!! SHE DIDN'T DO WHAT OTHERS DID? WAHH!!!!!!!! WAHH!!!!!!!

:roll: So? I never said she shouldn't do interviews. I've stated that I expect she will do them - and guess what - she is. Just because it isn't on YOUR timeline or the timeline of the bobbleheads doesn't mean anything except you and them(the bobbleheads) think too highly of yourselves. :p

Christ you are dumb as a fucking stump. :laugh: It's not about doing an interview within the "kooky leftist timelines", it's about doing an interview as soon as is reasonably possible. Fact is she isn't doing one quickly enough. The likely reason; she needs as much time as possible to be coached on the issues.

No, you seem to not be able to read(like so many of your leftist friends here). My comments were about Perknose being "unimpressed". And again, NOTHING she could have done would have changed that... because he is a far left partisan. I just think it's lame commentary on his part...but not quite as lame as his strawman BS. :)

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: JD50
Craig, since you're so quick to call everyone a liar and demand apologies, I was wondering when you were going to apologize for your lie?

Originally posted by: Craig234

No, she hid her daughter's pregnancy, it got exposed, it's done. You are making dishonest excuses for her not facing the media. If it's such an issue she has to hide, she can resign.

Imagine Obama or Biden going into hiding because one (true) story about their personal life was printed.

And then you admit that Alaska already knew..

Originally posted by: Craig234
Originally posted by: loki8481
hid it? practically everyone knew in Alaska.

It was news to 49 states, the rest of the world, and part of Alaska. Your side tries to lie that reporting the facts is a terrible personal attack, as a political attack.

He won't, I've already called him on that and he just came back and claimed I was a liar and thus he was "done".
...atleast he stopped digging...

BMW540I6speed

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2005
This is the person that the Republicans want to put a heartbeat (and a potentially frail heartbeat at that) away from the oval office. Here are some questions for her:

Q: You have said that you said "thanks but no thanks" to the Bridge to Nowhere. In fact, you not only supported it, but accepted the money, and never gave it back. How do you justify accepting the money for a project you openly boast rejecting, and do you think your boast is untrue? And to which project/fund/earmark has this money gone to, and did the Alaskan people have any say in the usage of this money?

Q:Is reading books a useful or enjoyable part of your weekly routine? What was the last book you read, and what did you like or dislike about it? What are you favorite books, and what did you like about them? Was it true that you sought to ban certain controversial books from the local library? Which books were they, and what purpose was the ban supposed to serve? Is it true that you threatened to fire the town librarian over this issue?

Q: Aside from your disagreement over polar bears, on what policies do you differ from George W. Bush?

Q: How do you differ on policy from John McCain?

Q: Why is the McCain campaign trying to intimidate the media on your behalf? Do they see you as so weak and unqualified that you should not stand the scrutiny of media vetting that other candidates endure?

Q: If you really think Hillary Clinton was whiny, why are you letting the McCain campaign whine on your behalf?

Q: Do you believe that before The Rapture can take place that Israel has to be entirely in the hands of the Jews? How do you feel about Jews? How do you feel about black people? Have you ever used the term Sambo in reference to any black person?

Q: Do you beleive the earth is 6000 years old?

Q: Do you agree with Bush-appointed U.S. District Judge John E. Jones who said that so-called "intelligent design" is creationism in disguise?

Q: Ask her if the Bible or the Constitution is the higher authority in America?

Q: Barack Obama worked his way from nothing through an Ivy League education without the benefit of affirmative action, and based solely on his merits, and was able only recently to pay off his student loans thanks to his success as an author. Do you denigrate this success as "elitist" and "out of touch" with Americans such as yourself - or do you applaud his success story as an uplifting story of American possibilities?

Q: If your daughter were raped and became pregnant and wanted to choose to have an abortion, how would you counsel her? If she wanted to go ahead despite your advice, how would you treat her?

Q: Want to know if she wants Roe v Wade overturned and the follow up to that one is, does she want a life at conception amendment?. If so, what will the penalties will be for a woman? Her doctor? should she become president, would mean the end of abortion rights via her access to Supreme Court appointments?.

Q: What are your views on contraception? Outlaw it or not?

Q: Do you believe the fourth amendment covers women and their bodies or doesn't cover women and their bodies. Your views of early childhood education funding and Head Start funding?

Q: Sex education in the public schools should the federal government ban it or not ban it?

Q: Ask her about abstinence programs and the lack of documented evidence that it helps teenagers put off sex?.

Q: Do families have a right to health insurance paid for in part by employers?

Q: Do you think that I am going to go to hell when I die? Me, personally? I mean I'm pretty religious and have read all the books and believe in god and pray alot, but I haven't actually accepted Jesus as my personal savior. I understand that there are like 200 million Americans who fall into the same camp, one way or another.

Q; Do you think an elected official should use the power of his or her office to deal with supposed enemies of his or her family.....or his or her country? Should we be talking with our enemies? What are your theories about when to use diplomacy and when to use force in international relations or conflicts within our own borders? For example if the situation that happened in Waco texas back in 94 was for you to decide, what would you have done?

Q: Is there any movement to allow same sex marriages in Alaska? If there were, what is your position on same sex marriage?

Q: How do you expect the legislature's investigation to turn out....the investigation of the allegation that you tried to use the power of your office to get your former brother in law fired from his job as a state trooper. Why did the state safety director resign? Did you ask for his resignation and if so why?

Q: How many times had you met with and talked with John McCain before you got the call that he wanted you as his running mate? What had you discussed in these brief meetings?

Q: How do you expect to appeal to the women that were supporting Hillary during her primary race? What percentage of their votes do you expect to get? Among Republican women, what percentage of their vote do you expect to get? For what reasons might either group not vote for you?

Q: People like "Swifty" Corsi and rightist yappers like to make the claim that Barack Obama is a Muslim. Do you think Obama is Muslim or Christian? If you believe he is Christian, will you denounce Corsi and his ilk? If you equivocate, and refuse to answer directly, isn't that simply a political stunt on your part?

Q; Do you think Barack Obama wants to "lose" in Iraq. Do you question his patriotism or do you think such speculation is ridiculous, cynically designed by the GOP to pander to the weakest-minded members of the Republican base?

Q: In 2000, McCain spoke out against Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson, calling them agents of intolerance who exercised "evil influence" over the Republican Party. So Gov. Palin, who did you vote for in the Republican Primary in 2000? Are you a follower of such "agents of intolerance"? Is your Pastor in Alaska an agent of intolerance?

Q: If Alaska were to secede from the United States, do they get to keep federally owned land?

Q: What was the budget deficit of Wasilla when you became mayor, what was it after you left?

Thats just a start...

GroundedSailor

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: GroundedSailor
The likely reason; she needs as much time as possible to be coached on the issues.

That is true because they GOP does not want he saying things such as:
http://www.iht.com/articles/20...rica/church.php?page=1

Bible is Palin's professional guide, friends and pastors say
By Kirk Johnson and Kim Severson
Sunday, September 7, 2008

[...]

"Just be amazed at the umbrella of this church here, where God is going to send you from this church,"

[...]

Among other things, she encouraged the group of young church leaders to pray that "God's will" be done in bringing about the construction of a big pipeline in the state, and she suggested her work as governor would be hampered "if the people of Alaska's heart isn't right with God."

She also told the group that her eldest child, Track, would soon be deployed by the U.S. Army to Iraq and that they should pray "that our national leaders are sending them out on a task that is from God - that's what we have to make sure we are praying for, that there is a plan, and that plan is God's plan."

Evan, it does seem as if even the people who chose her believe her to have been "not ready for prime time", in a way and to an extent heretofore not seen regarding any national candidate in our modern American political history.

Whether she subsequently proves herself, we shall all see.

------

GS, in all fairness, I think they WILL want her saying these things to their Fundy base. What will be interesting is to what extent and with what vehemence and in which speeches and interviews she does so.

I know I will be watching her first interview with great eagerness, and that it WILL engender 30 subsequent threads here . . . which would happen no matter if she were R or D, btw . . . since she is relatively new and largely unknown to the national political scene, and yet will now be a candidate to be elected to the office one heartbeat away from the Presidency of our great Republic.

If she says things like that they will lose the moderate and independent vote, so I don't think they want her going off script.

GroundedSailor

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Originally posted by: GroundedSailor
The likely reason; she needs as much time as possible to be coached on the issues.

That is true because they GOP does not want he saying things such as:
http://www.iht.com/articles/20...rica/church.php?page=1
You do understand that most of the Christians in the country will read that transcript or see that video and have no problem with it at all.

You guys want to act like she is some looney Church wacko when most of her beliefs are not much different from most evangelical Christians.

And do you really want to get into a debate about which candidates and their churches they attend??

I'll put these Sarah Palin clips up against a Rev Wright clip any day of the week.

The difference is Wright is not on the ticket, Palin is.

And yes the evangelical Christian views happen to be a minority so she 'could' be viewed as a Church wacko if she were t say such things.

davestar

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2001
Why she's doing this interview with Gibson

?The major development in his campaign obviously is his surprise choice of Sarah Palin,? Mr. Gibson wrote. ?It took some time in thinking about it, but I finally decided not to even bring up the issues with her family, for they are issues of family and should remain so. Once you know about her daughter?s pregnancy, once you know about her husband?s political interest in the Alaskan Independence Party, once you know about special nature of their latest child, I think that?s enough.

?The relevant questions about Governor Palin, the questions that go to her suitability to serve as vice president, all relate to her experience, or lack thereof, and her policy positions as a mayor and governor in Alaska. Once I decided to restrict the Palin questions to those areas, the interview kind of formed itself,? Mr. Gibson wrote.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Cant wait to hear about the "issues"

just going to have to wait for a few more days....

from the link above:

Why would we want to throw Sarah Palin into a cycle of piranhas called the news media that have nothing better to ask questions about than her personal life and her children?

So until at which point in time we feel like the news media is going to treat her with some level of respect and deference, I think it would be foolhardy to put her out into that kind of environment.?

McCain's camp is afraid of the media. How can we expect McCain to lead our nation on foreign affairs if he is afraid of the media?

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
You know, I'm getting tired of hearing Palin called "smart". Where has she demonstrated astute intelligence? Sure, she's shown personal fortitude, dedication to family, conservative values, etc, but I haven't seen anything that demonstrates a gifted intellect or academic prowess. Instead we get gems like this:

On creationism and evolution in science class:

Palin, Oct. 25, 2006: Teach both. You know, don't be afraid of information. Healthy debate is so important and it's so valuable in our schools. I am a proponent of teaching both. And you know, I say this too as the daughter of a science teacher. Growing up with being so privileged and blessed to be given a lot of information on, on both sides of the subject ? creationism and evolution. It's been a healthy foundation for me. But don't be afraid of information and let kids debate both sides.

How can the daughter of a science teacher be so mind numbingly ignorant about what constitutes science? I'd say she was simply pandering, but her stance on everything else is religiously dictated right down the line. There can be no healthy debate between fantasy and reality. If you say rainbows are the result of the white light spectrum being refracted and can repeat and demonstrate the properties that make it possible, and I submit that rainbows are leprechaun highways that they use to mark their treasure hoards, no honest debate can follow. More information from me on my "hypothesis" is not helpful, it is simply obfuscation and bullshit. Sometimes one side is simply, demonstrably, honestly, factually, and categorically, wrong.

The "daughter of a science teacher" should be able to know the difference. Unless her father was a Creation Scientist. Actually, what the hell did her father teach? All I can find is that he was a science teacher, but given her views on ID I'm really curious as to what it was he was teaching.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I have to say it is pretty much impossible for me to respect anyone who thinks that creationism should be taught in schools.

Not that I would have voted for her due to about a hundred other issues, but just.... wow. It's embarrassing to have a creationist in the white house, I'd rather not continue it.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: jonks
You know, I'm getting tired of hearing Palin called "smart". Where has she demonstrated astute intelligence? Sure, she's shown personal fortitude

How so more than anyone else? By agreeing to dodge interviews?

dedication to family

How so more than so many other women? Assuming the National Enquirer is wrong.

conservative values

By spporting the erosion of church and state, discrimination against gays, the bridge to nowhere before it was well known, aggressive wars, big spending, eminent domain?

She has demonstrated a taste for authoritarianism, e.g., her handling of the police chief, and backwards radical right-wing views, not 'conservatism'.