Pakistani Bill Banning Child Marriage Shot Down as "Un-Islamic"

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 25, 2013
Well, that's a start. Perhaps eventually I won't be able to say you know nothing and don't even suspect much. lol

Want some reality? Pakistan's ruling Islamic council killed a bill as un-Islamic because it prohibited child marriage. Make all the excuses you like, that doesn't change reality.

And just where have I excused this (or anything like it)?

btw, child marriage (under 16 for females and under 18 for males)) is already illegal in Pakistan. Unfortunately the govt. is too chickenshit to enforce the present law.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
And just where have I excused this (or anything like it)?

btw, child marriage (under 16 for females and under 18 for males)) is already illegal in Pakistan. Unfortunately the govt. is too chickenshit to enforce the present law.
So when you attacked Nebor for posting this by implying it was not worth posting unless someone's life was really boring you weren't defending it? Just an amazing coincidence?

Is your life really this boring?
The government CANNOT enforce its existing laws against child marriage because the Council of Islamic Ideology considers such laws to be un-Islamic and blasphemous (because the Prophet, peace be on him, married a seven year old, you know.) The CII has an enormous amount of power in Pakistani government, so much so that when they rule against a proposed bill, the legislature's Standing Committee on Religious Affairs and Interfaith Harmony kicks it out. Unanimously. On "purely religious grounds."

From Nebor's link:
The CII has already ruled the minimum age stipulated for marriage in the Child Marriages Restriction Act of 1929 does not comply with Islamic laws.

Nov 25, 2013
So when you attacked Nebor for posting this by implying it was not worth posting unless someone's life was really boring you weren't defending it? Just an amazing coincidence?

Sorry, I was apparently giving you too much credit re your ability to follow discussions in this forum. If you read what I wrote as some kind of defense then you have bigger problems than I thought.