Painting entire basement - Paint roller or Paint sprayer?

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
Have a fully finished basement right now but wife hates the color so we *must* paint it. We don't have much furniture down there and we're replacing the carpet as well, so i thought that maybe using an paint sprayer would be easier. lots of unobstructed walls and i thought would be easy to get done w/ a paint sprayer. would take a long time w/ roller. I read lots of mixed opinions about paint spraying interiors. Anyone with experience using a paint sprayer inside the house?

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
The biggest problem I can think of when using a paint sprayer in an enclosed area is that you will be breathing concentrated paint fumes (and paint itself) and will get it in your eyes/hair/clothes unless you wear some good protective gear. You'll also want to thoroughly cover everything that shouldn't be painted (windows, light fixtures, furniture, etc) since the paint will spread in the air somewhat and will hang in the air longer than normal in an enclosed area, even if you are careful with your aim of the sprayer itself. It can be done, but I'm not sure the extra hassle is worthwhile.

Look for a video of an automotive paint booth in action to see an extreme example of what you might potentially be looking at.

Bartman39

Elite Member | For Sale/Trade
Jul 4, 2000
Would depend on weather you were using mineral or water based paint...? With mineral "you gonna get high" :D Water based no problem...

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Do you have a paint sprayer? Are you proficient using it? Sprayer will be faster and easier but only if you know how to use it well. Since you're asking the question, my guess is no and recommend you use the old fashioned roller and brush.

Reactions: Humpy and evident

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
Do you have a paint sprayer? Are you proficient using it? Sprayer will be faster and easier but only if you know how to use it well. Since you're asking the question, my guess is no and recommend you use the old fashioned roller and brush.
we're roller experts. looks like well stick w/ rolling.

Reactions: Humpy and ponyo

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
we're roller experts. looks like well stick w/ rolling.

Good call. If it was my home, I would roll too. And I'm someone who's better at painting with a sprayer than painting with roller.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
since everyone here is making 6 figures just throw money at the problem and hire a professional to do the job?

/rollers is what grandad used to use when he was a painter

• Love
Reactions: JEDIYoda

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
since everyone here is making 6 figures just throw money at the problem and hire a professional to do the job?

/rollers is what grandad used to use when he was a painter

Many people like to unlock accomplishment for some reason.

Reactions: Zeze

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Roller. Spray paint is a horrible idea in a unvented space.

Not really. That's why you wear mask. The main issue is skill. If you're good with a sprayer, it's better to spray. If not, it's better to roll.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Not really. That's why you wear mask. The main issue is skill. If you're good with a sprayer, it's better to spray. If not, it's better to roll.

I am not talking about breathing it in, you are supposed to be masked for roller as well.

I am talking about paint mist filling an enclosed space.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I am not talking about breathing it in, you are supposed to be masked for roller as well.

I am talking about paint mist filling an enclosed space.

It's no big deal. You just move the stuff to the center of the room and cover it with painters plastic. People spray in enclosed space all the time.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
It's no big deal. You just move the stuff to the center of the room and cover it with painters plastic. People spray in enclosed space all the time.

Only if you know how to spay paint. Op doesnt sound like it

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Only if you know how to spay paint. Op doesnt sound like it

Which is why I recommended he roll. It takes some practice to spray well. You're not going to become proficient spraying one house basement. You have to be familiar with tip sizes and when to use what size tip, what to tape, what to cut with a brush, how to cut with the sprayer at an angle, how to use paint shield, etc. You have to know what speed you need to move so the paint doesn't run. Spraying is a skill and easy once you get the hang of it but it takes lot of spraying to be really good.

NoTine42

Golden Member
Sep 30, 2013
Spraying inside with no woodwork or trim isn't too bad, but I don't think I would want to attempt spraying inside after woodwork is installed unless you completely covered it

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Spraying is not a replacement for rolling, especially on textured surfaces. When you roll the roller applies paint to the surface, pushes it into uneven surfaces, and refines the film thickness and sheen. When you spray you only apply paint to the wall. That's why the pros backroll after spraying. And don't forget that most "residential" grade sprayers can't handle residential grade paint. Paint for DIYers tends to be thick for better roller application and sprayers available to DIYers have motors that aren't up to the task of pushing high density material. You'd end up having to thin it with water and it would mess up your color.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
Which is why I recommended he roll. It takes some practice to spray well. You're not going to become proficient spraying one house basement. You have to be familiar with tip sizes and when to use what size tip, what to tape, what to cut with a brush, how to cut with the sprayer at an angle, how to use paint shield, etc. You have to know what speed you need to move so the paint doesn't run. Spraying is a skill and easy once you get the hang of it but it takes lot of spraying to be really good.

Prep work alone sounds like a PITA. Last night i got about half of my prepwork for rolling done in about an hour. I don't need to tarp off my drop ceiling, something that would seem long to do. i'm removing the base trim and not prepping much of the carpet since we'll be replacing it w/ either another carpet or laminate after we paint.

I feel like w/ the sprayer i'd end up spraying, backrolling , screwing something up and just end up using a roller anyways. I'm going to pick up an 18 inch roller today, which seems like it would speed up my process significantly.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

jmagg

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
As Sactoking mentioned, with a sprayer you'll need to back roll anyway.