Painting a desk

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
What kind of paint should I use to paint a wooden desk? Would either high gloss or semi-gloss be more durable than the other? Is there any kind of protective coat I can put on it to help protect it from scratches?

Edit:
In case anyone ever has the same quesiton I had, I found what I was looking for.

Minwax makes a product called Polycrylic. It is a clear protective coating that can be used over paint. I just put one coat on a piece of painted scrap wood, and I was impressed by the results. Seems very durable. And it's water-based, so cleanup is easy.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
what kind of wooden desk? like actual wood or that particle board crap from officedepot?

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: ElFenix
what kind of wooden desk? like actual wood or that particle board crap from officedepot?

Actual wood

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Anubis
Originally posted by: mugs

Actual wood

sand it and stain it dnt paint it

I built it myself, and frankly I lack the skills (and the tools) to build something like this that would look good stained. And I didn't want to spend the money on the higher quality wood I'd need to use if I stained it. :) I think it looks very nice painted white like our moldings, I'm just concerned about durability.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: Anubis

Actual wood

sand it and stain it dnt paint it

I built it myself, and frankly I lack the skills (and the tools) to build something like this that would look good stained. And I didn't want to spend the money on the higher quality wood I'd need to use if I stained it. :) I think it looks very nice painted white like our moldings, I'm just concerned about durability.

you can stain and urithane (sp) pine and it looks better ten paint

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
I'm not staining it.

(the wife wouldn't let me stain it even if I wanted to ;))

fitzov

Platinum Member
Jan 3, 2004
I suggest latex. Use a primer if you're painting bare wood, and then a semi-gloss or gloss over that. Of course, you should fill any holes and sand it first.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: fitzov
I suggest latex. Use a primer if you're painting bare wood, and then a semi-gloss or gloss over that. Of course, you should fill any holes and sand it first.

Yeah, I filled the screw holes, sanded it thoroughly, put a couple of coats of primer on it then a couple of coats of high gloss latex. It just doesn't seem very scratch resistant. Is there a clear protective coat I can put on it or something?

fitzov

Platinum Member
Jan 3, 2004
Originally posted by: fitzov

Yeah, I filled the screw holes, sanded it thoroughly, put a couple of coats of primer on it then a couple of coats of high gloss latex. It just doesn't seem very scratch resistant. Is there a clear protective coat I can put on it or something?

I'm not sure how polyurethane goes on latex. I would just put a piece of lexan or plexiglass on top.

bctbct

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2005
Make sure you get bare wood primer(reg primer not good for bare wood). Latex paint should work, I doubt the sheen is going the paint any different.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
In case anyone ever has the same quesiton I had, I found what I was looking for.

Minwax makes a product called Polycrylic. It is a clear protective coating that can be used over paint. I just put one coat on a piece of painted scrap wood, and I was impressed by the results. Seems very durable. And it's water-based, so cleanup is easy.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
High gloss could be an issue with a optical mouse if you're using it as a computer desk and don't use a mouse pad.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: lokiju
High gloss could be an issue with a optical mouse if you're using it as a computer desk and don't use a mouse pad.

I am using a mousepad :)

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Yes, you should use a primer.

Gloss will be more durable than semi-gloss, which will be more durable than satin, then eggshell then flat.

As you move toward a gloss you show more imperfections (runs, sagging, open grains). So, you're trading off looks for durability.

Oil is more durable than latex, but requires more drying time so lint and such have time to find your work. Also oil paint cleanup is a pain. (my preferred method of cleanup is to throw the stuff away).

My suggestions: Fill every imperfection with a cream style of wood filler, sand smooth, seal with a wood primer, then paint with a semi-gloss latex, 2 coats, sand lightly between the first and second coat.