pain in the raid

row

May 28, 2013
attempting to install and set up raid 0 (as storage) with two raptors, 600g - 2.5" - sata 6g

the board is the asus sabertooth z77. i plug the hd's into the sata 6g's and they are not recognized in the bios (it's the latest for this board), they do show up when plugged into the 3g slots though. ok so sata 3g - enable raid in the bios - f10 and then, according to the mb user guide, i should be able to hit <ctrl> <l> to get into the raid setup, nothing happens, the computer just wants to load the os, which for some reason it can't do, that is until i disconnect the wd's from the sata connections.

any suggestions? thanks in advance folks!

row

May 28, 2013
the mb consists of 3 separate raid controllers (4) for 3g sata, (2) asmedia 6g sata, and (2) intel 6g sata ports.

because one of the intel ports was already being used by the ssd, i was plugging the hd's into the asmedia ports, and although the mb manual doesn't say this is wrong, it didn't work, the hd's were not seen in the bios. although the 3g ports allowed the bios to recognize the hd's i knew that was wrong (believe me i'm a noob) as the raptors are 6g units.

anyway since i'm plugging and unplugging shit i decided to switch the ssd over to the asmedia port, try the hd's on the intel sata ports. that solved the problem. the bios saw the hd's, i was able to f10 and immediately the raid utility appeared allowing me to set up the drives.

got lucky :whiste:

Feb 25, 2011
Even those HDDs won't max out a 3G SATA port... I'd see about getting RAID working on the Intel 3G ports instead.

Assuming your motherboard/chipset actually support it. *shrug*