Pain in my jaw - felt something pop?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: SP33Demon
Originally posted by: moshquerade
everyone has 2 TMJs. TMJ - is temperomandibular joint, which is the joint which allows you to open and close your mouth.

sounds like you have TMD = temperomandibular joint Disorder. the "pop" sound you heard was your TMJ going out of socket. it went back in by itself, but that is still gonna cause some inflammation which is why it is sore.

the dentist is going to tell you to be careful yawning, opening your mouth wide to eat, don't chew gum and the like. there is really nothing you can do to prevent it from happening again but be careful not to stress out the joint or don't open your mouth widely.

and you can take tylenol for the pain.

there, saved ya a dental visit. ;)
Seems like you know an awful lot about this... do you open your mouth alot? ;)
no, but i see into other people's mouths a lot. i work in a dental office. :)

thelanx

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2000
Have you had your wisdom teeth pulled out yet? Maybe they are contributing to your TMD. You should see a dentist just to make sure everything is alright.

monzi

Dec 10, 2003
WWW.CBUSVIP.COM
Originally posted by: SP33Demon
Originally posted by: moshquerade
everyone has 2 TMJs. TMJ - is temperomandibular joint, which is the joint which allows you to open and close your mouth.

sounds like you have TMD = temperomandibular joint Disorder. the "pop" sound you heard was your TMJ going out of socket. it went back in by itself, but that is still gonna cause some inflammation which is why it is sore.

the dentist is going to tell you to be careful yawning, opening your mouth wide to eat, don't chew gum and the like. there is really nothing you can do to prevent it from happening again but be careful not to stress out the joint or don't open your mouth widely.

and you can take tylenol for the pain.

there, saved ya a dental visit. ;)
Seems like you know an awful lot about this... do you open your mouth alot? ;)

I really hope that was a joke.............otherwise your scum.

kami333

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2001
I've had TMD for about 10years now (now 23) and it comes and goes.

Some days I just want to stick an ice pick in the joint:thumbsdown:

cw42

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2004
Originally posted by: thelanx
Have you had your wisdom teeth pulled out yet? Maybe they are contributing to your TMD. You should see a dentist just to make sure everything is alright.

nope, all still there.

edit: btw i have an appointment scheduled with the dentist monday morning at 9:15am, gah it's so early! i havnt to wakeup that early for a while since my classes ususally started around 1pm :) i'll be goin there just to make sure that's what i have and nothing worse, plus it was time for my yearly checkup anyways.

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
my wife had a popping jaw all her life.
last year our doctor suggested to go to the physical therapist, and after 8 weeks of therapy it's completely gone now.

DCM1947

Oct 29, 2018
Yesterday I was yawning, and when I was opening my mouth I felt a pop on the right side of my jaw. Since then i've been getting this pain there. It hurts too much to bite down, and hurts if I try open my mouth wide. I can still opening my mouth and talk, just not really bite, or open wide. When I woke up this morning, it def felt alot worse. Any ideas?
CW42, The exact thing happened to me yesterday and I woke up in the middle of the night and it hurts now if I bite down or try to open my mouth even slightly.
What did you do that finally got rid of the pain?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
CW42, The exact thing happened to me yesterday and I woke up in the middle of the night and it hurts now if I bite down or try to open my mouth even slightly.
What did you do that finally got rid of the pain?

It's been 14 years. I hope he went to the doctor before now.