Paid forum users to post sh!t about opposite political party?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
I doubt it happens often on political discussion forums. ...

The sad truth is that people don't need to be paid to shill for a political party or ideology. People tend to self-motivate in that area for a variety of reasons.

Yeah.

Also, political parties are responses to actual demands in the electorate. If tomorrow, 75% of the population genuinely wanted to make landing on Mars a priority, the political parties would start talking about it.

Think about it this way too, would there be any point in hiring a Republican speechwriter to start responding to posts on democratic underground? It would be a waste of time.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
It could be happening, but it seems unnecessary to do so.

sent from a Caribbean Resort paid by shill cash

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
This. Like my gf parents. Huge Christians who think basically all democrats are evil and Obama is the antichrist. They say Bush was great and helped eco a lot, and Clinton was very bad and ruined it. Actually said Bush inherited a bad economy from Clinton,"each president feels all after effects from previous one" So doesn't that also apply for Obama inheriting Bushs crap? ".... oh no no" *goes into a obama-is-evil bush-is-jesus rant* At that point i decided to never talk politics with them again.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Who paid you to say that? :p

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Oh, and there really are Commies under your bed. Whether that's good or bad depends on who's paying you, eh?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I think there is no way for me to know. All I know and you can't is that I post what I believe and nobody pays me to. I try to be careful though, and it really isn't that easy, not to post out of ego where the payment is from me to myself.

I do note, along those lines, a feeling I get sometimes, that folk who do not like what you say will work to discourage you from doing so. One has to maintain the kind of non attachment required to also be unaffected by them.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
I think there is no way for me to know. All I know and you can't is that I post what I believe and nobody pays me to. I try to be careful though, and it really isn't that easy, not to post out of ego where the payment is from me to myself.

I do note, along those lines, a feeling I get sometimes, that folk who do not like what you say will work to discourage you from doing so. One has to maintain the kind of non attachment required to also be unaffected by them.
I want my payments back.

You were paid all of these years to speak gibberish.

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
Let's start off with what we know for fact. We know there are companies that market themselves for shilling. The U.S. Department of Labor categorized as "representational activities."

For example, Nvidia got caught red-handed buying shills. They are still shilling even recently, as shown here:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1668756

Given that we know it's a common practice whenever there is big money involved, and we know that there is big money involved with politics, it comes as no surprise that almost every political forum on the net has one shill or another on it. I have seen shills even in comic book discussion forums that happen to have a political subforum (for example someone will register for the site and only post in the political subforum, despite it being a forum dedicated to comics, or videogames, etc.).

I know that both sides hire shills, so we know both dems and repubs are guilty here. So now that we know it's a widespread practice, you can pretty much assume that any site that has a big political subforum will have shills in it. When thought of in this manner, it comes as no surprise that the Anandtech forums also has it's share of paid shills, on both sides.

The problem is that it's virtually impossible to prove someone is a shill, unless they outright admit it. A smart shill will never admit it, so you have a lot of people operating in the "grey area". The xkcd posted by DrPizza nailed it. At this point, a lot of people consider it the same as they consider "viral marketing", that is to say a potentially highly effective method of advertising given the amount of money put into it.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Well there are a lot of politicians who take money from lobbyists and vote their interests only because they believed them anyway. ;)

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
I have no doubt that this is happening. So many forums have tons and tons of pure bs nonsense vitriolic political posts on them. People care more about sports than politics in this nation (as evidenced by low voter turnouts) and yet I never see the same number of irrelevant sports postings on the internet. Yet, when it comes to politics, which the vast majority of americans do not even pay attention to, you see tons of vitriolic spam on sites that don't even have anything to do with politics. And it's not just forums, it's in comment sections too. It's super cheap to hire a ton of offshore people to write millions upon millions of these posts.

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
I feel your pain man. :mad:

I saw a christian the other day post something along the lines of 'only married people should be allowed to purchase birth control.' D:

We do! The libs give it away like candy. Somewhere in the Bill of Rights it says you don't have to pay for jimmys when you are getting your groove on. Seriously Bobby from homeroom said his teacher told him so!

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
We do! The libs give it away like candy. Somewhere in the Bill of Rights it says you don't have to pay for jimmys when you are getting your groove on. Seriously Bobby from homeroom said his teacher told him so!

Where in the Bill of Rights does it say you should get free traffic signals?

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
I wouldn't say that there are paid shills around. As I post this I'm enjoying the smooth shave only provided by the The Gillette® Fusion® ProGlide&#8482; Power Razor.

The Gillette® Fusion® ProGlide&#8482; Power Razor is Gillette&#8217;s most advanced blade ever. Thinner, finer blades with a low-resistance coating glide effortlessly through hair for less tug and pull, providing incredible comfort, even if you shave every day.

The Gillette® Fusion® ProGlide&#8482; Power Razor is the only razor I'd even use....

Last edited:

SilthDraeth

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2003
Why would anyone pay anyone else to do stuff like that when there are plenty of people (like those in the shill sections of my sig) who readily do it for free?

I am disappointed that you do not have Craig listed as a shill.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
Honestly I think all the bad mouthing you hear in public forums where people can remain anonymous without being involved in the forums in the long term- like for example yahoo forums, are actually paid users, who come and post bad stuff so that the general public opinion can be influenced or swayed.

what do you guys think?

Especially since the republicans realized that the last election was won by todays youth posting on social websites like facebook and others, i think its easy to get your own paid users whose daily job is to just post shit about Obama and give thumbs down from different user accounts to all the good things posted. And its dirt cheap to pay for this kind of campaigning too.

Ofcourse this can also be said about the opposite party..

I say this because most of the forums where people know each other like AT Forums, and have a reputation to keep, generally consider Obama as having done a B- job, who made some mistakes like on healthcare, but still having done the best job he could do under the circumstances Every one makes mistakes.

But public forums just talk smack shit and but troll bait about him, to the point of lies.

What do you guys think?

OP's Argument - "Mommy, mommy people on the internet have different opinions! Make them stop! They all must be paid poopy face liars !"

Thanks for exposing yourself as being a slanted and bias poster with a tinfoil hat syndrome disorder.

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Domestic politics? I think it's clear that American politics are sometimes shaped by operatives of foreign govts, like Israel... not just on internet forums, but by very powerful political action groups, as well.

Just sayin', guys.

nonlnear

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2008
Honestly I think all the bad mouthing you hear in public forums where people can remain anonymous without being involved in the forums in the long term- like for example yahoo forums, are actually paid users, who come and post bad stuff so that the general public opinion can be influenced or swayed.

what do you guys think?

Especially since the republicans realized that the last election was won by todays youth posting on social websites like facebook and others, i think its easy to get your own paid users whose daily job is to just post shit about Obama and give thumbs down from different user accounts to all the good things posted. And its dirt cheap to pay for this kind of campaigning too.

Ofcourse this can also be said about the opposite party..

I say this because most of the forums where people know each other like AT Forums, and have a reputation to keep, generally consider Obama as having done a B- job, who made some mistakes like on healthcare, but still having done the best job he could do under the circumstances Every one makes mistakes.

But public forums just talk smack shit and but troll bait about him, to the point of lies.

What do you guys think?

I'll tell you what I think. I think this thread of yours is pretty ironic given your habitual self-reposting and formulaic word choices!

I like how you try to seem engaging by always asking what people think when your goal seems to be to simply occupy people's attention. Kind of like you are a professional diversion of sorts. Flattering the reader by saying that it's in "those other forums" where this kind of behavior is happening is a nice touch. It's almost clever...

what do you guys think?

Especially since the republicans realized that the last election was won by todays youth posting on social websites like facebook and others, i think its easy to get your own paid users whose daily job is to just post shit about Obama and give thumbs down from different user accounts to all the good things posted.

Ofcourse this can also be said about the opposite party

it takes money to rebuild a house after its destroyed in a hurricane or earthquake, just as it takes money to rebuild the economy after it was destroyed by wars in bush era. Instead of talking trash about how much obama is spending, wouldn't it be more prudent to find mistakes about where the money is being sent.

Oh yeah, dont talk about the war expenditure as that was started by bush, I know obama promised to get us out of the war, but its not something you can do overnight, there are global economies and consequences to think about, and as such takes time.

There are more and more people who are angry with obama as they are unemployed or facing financial difficulties, but this is all after effects of the bush presidency, as it takes time to feel the after effects. Once good or bad policies are set, it takes time for the policies to work and involve peoples lives.

what do you think?
it takes money to rebuild a house after its destroyed in a hurricane or earthquake, just as it takes money to rebuild the economy after it was destroyed by wars in bush era. Instead of talking trash about how much obama is spending, wouldn't it be more prudent to find mistakes about where the money is being sent.

Oh yeah, dont talk about the war expenditure as that was started by bush, I know obama promised to get us out of the war, but its not something you can do overnight, there are global economies and consequences to think about, and as such takes time.

There are more and more people who are angry with obama as they are unemployed or facing financial difficulties, but this is all after effects of the bush presidency, as it takes time to feel the after effects. Once good or bad policies are set, it takes time for the policies to work and involve peoples lives.

Many people of today donot care about what goes on around the world, and who is the president of their own country (like here in USA few years ago); until they are themselves directly affected or lose a job, upon which they get involved in politics and blame the current government , without realizing that it was because of their being aloof and not being involved in politics and letting the corporate world chose Bush as the president of USA that they lost their jobs in the first place.

Easy to blame another for our problems, worse to blame the WRONG OTHER!

what do you think?

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I wouldn't say that there are paid shills around. As I post this I'm enjoying the smooth shave only provided by the The Gillette® Fusion® ProGlide™ Power Razor.

The Gillette® Fusion® ProGlide™ Power Razor is Gillette’s most advanced blade ever. Thinner, finer blades with a low-resistance coating glide effortlessly through hair for less tug and pull, providing incredible comfort, even if you shave every day.

The Gillette® Fusion® ProGlide™ Power Razor is the only razor I'd even use....
:D +1

Munky

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2005
So according to the OP, anyone who disagrees that Obama his been doing a B- job, and has done the best job he could given the circumstances (Would those circumstances be Republican obstructionism by any chance?) must be a paid shill? There could not possibly by any other valid reason for blaming Obama for Obama's failure?