Paid forum users to post sh!t about opposite political party?

santz

Golden Member
Feb 21, 2006
Honestly I think all the bad mouthing you hear in public forums where people can remain anonymous without being involved in the forums in the long term- like for example yahoo forums, are actually paid users, who come and post bad stuff so that the general public opinion can be influenced or swayed.

what do you guys think?

Especially since the republicans realized that the last election was won by todays youth posting on social websites like facebook and others, i think its easy to get your own paid users whose daily job is to just post shit about Obama and give thumbs down from different user accounts to all the good things posted. And its dirt cheap to pay for this kind of campaigning too.

Ofcourse this can also be said about the opposite party..

I say this because most of the forums where people know each other like AT Forums, and have a reputation to keep, generally consider Obama as having done a B- job, who made some mistakes like on healthcare, but still having done the best job he could do under the circumstances Every one makes mistakes.

But public forums just talk smack shit and but troll bait about him, to the point of lies.

What do you guys think?

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
No, I think the majority of evangelists do it for free because they use the same mentality as a dumb sports fan, almost arbitrarily hooking onto a side and then promoting it like a good little sheep ought to. Parties don't need to pay for most of this and backlash is too risky for the most part.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Honestly I think all the bad mouthing you hear in public forums where people can remain anonymous without being involved in the forums in the long term- like for example yahoo forums, are actually paid users, who come and post bad stuff so that the general public opinion can be influenced or swayed.

what do you guys think?

Especially since the republicans realized that the last election was won by todays youth posting on social websites like facebook and others, i think its easy to get your own paid users whose daily job is to just post shit about Obama and give thumbs down from different user accounts to all the good things posted. And its dirt cheap to pay for this kind of campaigning too.

I say this because most of the forums where people know each other like AT Forums, and have a reputation to keep, generally consider Obama as having done a B- job, who made some mistakes like on healthcare, but still having done the best job he could do under the circumstances Every one makes mistakes.

But public forums just talk smack shit and but troll bait about him, to the point of lies.

What do you guys think?
Assuming it's happening, it's OK if they are Pro-Obama supporters but bad, bad, bad if they're anti-Obama. Did I get it right?

I give Obama an F. He wanted the position but didn't want to do the work. It shows.

Would you toss Obama's salad given the opportunity? I'm thinkin' so...

Last edited:

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Assuming it's happening, it's OK if they are Pro-Obama supporters but bad, bad, bad if they're anti-Obama. Did I get it right?

I give Obama an F. He wanted the position but didn't want to do the work. It shows.

I wouldn't go that harsh but I do admit he has made several mistakes and in the issues I am passionate on he didn't do shit imo fighting for them.

Icepick

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2004
There's no doubt in my mind that this happens. What really set me off is that I believe there are corporate shills as well who post reviews about products their paid for. Go look at some of the sites like epinions, amazon, etc... Many products have these essays that are nothing but glowing reviews for products. These are suspect in my mind and I believe that many of these are posted by shills.

Heck, we've had known corporate shills on this very website for years. Remember Rollo?

With the high prevalence of paid corporate shills of course there will be an abundance of political shills on these sites as well.

Mirox

Mar 5, 2012
i'm sure it's happening

PR firms are known to employ people to do stuff like that, or their staffers do it. There are fake twitter accounts that look like are from a real person etc...

RedString

Feb 24, 2011
No, I think the majority of evangelists do it for free because they use the same mentality as a dumb sports fan, almost arbitrarily hooking onto a side and then promoting it like a good little sheep ought to. Parties don't need to pay for most of this and backlash is too risky for the most part.

This. Like my gf parents. Huge Christians who think basically all democrats are evil and Obama is the antichrist. They say Bush was great and helped eco a lot, and Clinton was very bad and ruined it. Actually said Bush inherited a bad economy from Clinton,"each president feels all after effects from previous one" So doesn't that also apply for Obama inheriting Bushs crap? ".... oh no no" *goes into a obama-is-evil bush-is-jesus rant* At that point i decided to never talk politics with them again.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
This. Like my gf parents. Huge Christians who think basically all democrats are evil and Obama is the antichrist. They say Bush was great and helped eco a lot, and Clinton was very bad and ruined it. Actually said Bush inherited a bad economy from Clinton,"each president feels all after effects from previous one" So doesn't that also apply for Obama inheriting Bushs crap? ".... oh no no" *goes into a obama-is-evil bush-is-jesus rant* At that point i decided to never talk politics with them again.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
I feel your pain man. :mad:

I saw a christian the other day post something along the lines of 'only married people should be allowed to purchase birth control.' D:

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
There's definately some sock puppets out there. I think there are more on the conservative side due to the heirarchical nature of their mind set. Plus Democratics dont' march so much as one mind like the conservatives due.

There have been a couple on this site, but haven't seen them posting lately. They'll show up closer to the election.:sneaky:

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
LOL Thread. This is just another way to say:
"I am the highest form of being possible. I am so intelligent that anyone who disagrees with me must be doing so from some ulterior motive; probably they are being paid to disagree with my beliefs, which are obviously the only possible correct values and interpretation of facts."

Color me unimpressed and get over yourself.

Ynog

Golden Member
Oct 9, 2002
Wasn't Nvidea paying people to come here and post on the video card forum not too long ago?

Likely, I know Viacom was accused of uploading copyrighted material to YouTube. Then weeks later sending cease and desist letters.

It happens in almost every market imaginably.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
I doubt it happens often on political discussion forums. The idea that a corporation like Nvidia would do so on a board like this is actually more plausible than it is for political discussion. There is so much political discussion on the internet that adding another voice to one side would have virtually zero benefit to justify the cost.

The sad truth is that people don't need to be paid to shill for a political party or ideology. People tend to self-motivate in that area for a variety of reasons.

Icepick

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2004
Wasn't Nvidea paying people to come here and post on the video card forum not too long ago?

Yes, Rollo was a very prolific shill on these forums for years until he was finally perma-banned. There are still plenty of other shills on these (and other) forums to this day.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
Why would anyone pay anyone else to do stuff like that when there are plenty of people (like those in the shill sections of my sig) who readily do it for free?

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Why would anyone pay anyone else to do stuff like that when there are plenty of people (like those in the shill sections of my sig) who readily do it for free?

They wouldn't. Also, you'd think someone getting paid would be better at it (i.e. more persuasive) than the shills around here.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

what do you guys think?

What do you guys think?

Assuming it's happening, it's OK if they are Republican supporters but bad, bad, bad if they're Obama supporters. Did I get it right?

I give the 8 years prior to Obama being POTUS a total fail on the Republicans part. They wanted the position but didn't want to do the work. It shows now. Those same Republicans expect Obama to turn around 8 years of incompetence in a short 4 years...hmmmmm

Would you toss the republicans the nomination based on their seriously incompetent track record given the opportunity? I'm thinkin' not...

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006

I agree with you completely, Obama has been much too willing to compromise with the fifth column. Should have told all the rightie tighties to take a flying leap/getting them thrown out a high window would work too.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Why would they pay for posters, when they pay for Fox/think tank propagandists?

It's not as likely for political parties - the price of getting caught is high, and everyone they paid could blackmail them.

It is more possible for specific issues/corporate agendas/campaigns. But mostly not likely - to do it they'd have to issue 'talking points' and that list would be embarrassing.

More likely: do it indirectly through 'guerilla marketers' to keep deniability.

But it's an unproven method as far as really changing opinion, and I suspect inefficient.

Their money is far better put into mass marketing aimed at 'low information voters' whose opinions are easily swayed than at forums with opinionated people.

I suspect over 99% of suspected cases are nothing more than insulting the other side's posters as paid shills. 'You must be paid to post something to baseless!'

No need to worry about imaginary shill posters rather than the real issue of the corrupt money paying for propaganda and media - take organizations like ALEC.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

what do you guys think?

What do you guys think?

Sounds like a very accurate description of ProfJohn and some of the other right-wing posters here.