P8Z68v Pro... anyone seen this before???

Puppies04

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2011
Just updated my bios from 501 to 606 everthing looked fine until it rebooted, installed some drivers and asked for another reboot....

To cut a long story short just spent 2 hours with an almost completly unresponsive system, I eventually found out that although 8gb of my corsair vengeance 1866 ram was recognised only 256kb of ram was showing as usable. After trying all sorts to fix it I hit start > msconfig > Boot > advanced and noticed that windows had input the maximum usable ram as 256kb. Changed it back (unticked box) and everything is fine.

What the hell could have caused this and has anyone come across it before because i seriously thought i had bricked my mobo or ram

P.s the only way i could get the system to become responsive enough in normal windows mode (safe mode wouldn't let me open the asus AI suite to rollback the bios) was to set my SSD with a massive virtual ram allocation. I know this wasn't strictly needed but i didnt have my laptop avaliable to stick the bios rollback onto a USB stick and my other pc was upstairs with no internet.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Just updated my bios from 501 to 606 everthing looked fine until it rebooted, installed some drivers and asked for another reboot....

To cut a long story short just spent 2 hours with an almost completly unresponsive system, I eventually found out that although 8gb of my corsair vengeance 1866 ram was recognised only 256kb of ram was showing as usable. After trying all sorts to fix it I hit start > msconfig > Boot > advanced and noticed that windows had input the maximum usable ram as 256kb. Changed it back (unticked box) and everything is fine.

What the hell could have caused this and has anyone come across it before because i seriously thought i had bricked my mobo or ram

P.s the only way i could get the system to become responsive enough in normal windows mode (safe mode wouldn't let me open the asus AI suite to rollback the bios) was to set my SSD with a massive virtual ram allocation. I know this wasn't strictly needed but i didnt have my laptop avaliable to stick the bios rollback onto a USB stick and my other pc was upstairs with no internet.

You didn't say if you had entered BIOS after the successful update to reset your configuration to that for which Windows had been originally installed . . . .

Otherwise, I find what you describe as totally puzzling. But that's the first thing I learned about BIOS flashing -- you're best to do it after returning the system to "stock" speed settings and RAM (if it had been over-clocked), the BIOS update may more than likely erase all the BIOS "profiles" (for over-clocks) which you might have saved, and if you needed to have your SATA controller configured as "RAID" versus AHCI, you will need to enter BIOS and reset to RAID if you want your Windows to boot.

I apologize if my remarks fail to address your question . . . .

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Why would you think to go into mscofig? Had you been there before recently? I think I know the setting you're referring to, but I've never seen it actually used. Is it possible that you accidentally set it yourself?

I recently updated the same MB to bios 606. I didn't have any issues.

Puppies04

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2011
No chance whatsoever binky, I went in there because i remembered that there is a windows setting for limmiting usable ram and as 8gb was showing but only 256kb was avaliable i thought it was worth a try. The only reason i have been in there before is on my laptop to set it to boot on all 8 threads which doesn't apply to my I5

Puppies04

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2011
You didn't say if you had entered BIOS after the successful update to reset your configuration to that for which Windows had been originally installed . . . . Otherwise, I find what you describe as totally puzzling. But that's the first thing I learned about BIOS flashing -- you're best to do it after returning the system to "stock" speed settings and RAM (if it had been over-clocked), the BIOS update may more than likely erase all the BIOS "profiles" (for over-clocks) which you might have saved, and if you needed to have your SATA controller configured as "RAID" versus AHCI, you will need to enter BIOS and reset to RAID if you want your Windows to boot. I apologize if my remarks fail to address your question . . . .

The OC was dropped before I applied the bios update (i think it would reset it anyway) Everything else was standard apart from having a manually disabled marvel controller which turned itself back on after the bios flash anyway. I am just as puzzled, I was the only person in the house at the time and unless my fiances cats know about backdoor windows settings i find it unlikly that the RAM was manually disabled.

... anyway 606 is going back on tomorrow night, hopefully it will go a bit smoother this time :p