P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 - New builder, SSD questions; help me spend some money...

cmykpro

Dec 19, 2011
Howdy guys, I finished up my P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 2600k build a couple days ago and it is fantastic (16 gigs of RAM for post processing images is glorious). I have some SSD questions I was hoping to get some advice on. I currently have one Intel X-25m 80gig that I use as the windows drive. I also have two 500gig 7200spin drives in RAID0 that I put programs on and use as a scratch disk for Photoshop. I have been noticing that photoshop will studder like its waiting on the raid drive to almost wake up? At the same time there is a split second where an icon appears in the bottom right like something just happened. I almost wonder if it is the intel drive program?
Anywho Im far from an expert and am trying to figure out if I have settings wrong for the array or perhaps plugged into the wrong SATA controller? From the manual it says I have them both plugged into the Intel Z68 3.0gb/s SATA ports (ALthough I do have my main SSD and optical drive plugged into this same SATA group). I made the array in the bios as the manual says.
So here I sit ready to drop $600 on a GTX580 and now find myself thinking maybe I should spend that money on a couple new SSD's with larger capacity in a RAID array. Am I correct that windows 7 TRIM now supports RAID0 on SSD's? If so are there specific models I need to look for? FOr $600 would you buy two SSD's and run them in RAID 0 or would you just buy one very large SSD?
I use the machine for gaming and heavy graphic arts work. I post process wide format images that are usually 2+ gigs each. This is why the idea of SSD RAID0 makes me think I should spend the money there instead of on another video card (I have a GTX470 now that does a fine job).
Looking forward to your input. Here is the pic of the Dell XPS730 i7 convert...
asusbuild.jpg

kbp

Oct 8, 2011
I am running 3 Intel 320's (160gb) in RAID0. Do lots of photo work...
I use a WD Black Caviar for storage thou have no issues with with launching from that drive but it is not part of my RAID array.
Try changing your power settings to "always on" and see if that may help the lag your getting.

TRIM is not currently available for RAID array's as of yet. Intel says it will be very shortly......next new set of drivers.

Last edited:

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
Your boot/storage/write drives are what works best for you. But I have the same board and a couple Vertex 3's 60GB in RAID 0 hooked up to 6GB/s ports and can say that it's blazing fast. I'm running Windows and games, no Photoshop.

If it works for space, maybe the Intel could be a boot drive, and you could RAID a couple 60GB for Photoshop? I grabbed the Vertex's cause they were $99 w/free shipping, but the Samsung is looking very nice.

On TRIM, it's reported that it's not working yet, but when I query I get a 0 saying it's enabled. Maybe it's not but the query says it is.

On the 580, no games just Photoshop? I don't use it but man a 470 doesn't kill it for Photoshop? Is ur box upside down? :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227737

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820233193

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820147133