P7P55D-E Deluxe SDD Config

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by Dr J, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Dr J

Dr J Senior member

Hi, I'm currently running a pair of WD Raptors, in Raid. I'm thinking of upgrading to an SSD. On this board, there are two sata chipsets, Intell (3gb/s) and Marvel (6gb/s). My two WD Raptors are configured, in RAID, on the Intel chipset. I'm wondering if I can run an SSD (as the boot disk) on the Marvel (6gb/s) chipset and if so, can I simultaneously keep the Raptors, in Raid and on the Intel chipset, as a backup drives? And, if so, can I copy the Raptor raid array directly to the SSD, eliminating the need for a fresh install and thus having the boot drive software? I'm guessing I'm hoping for too much.

I guess the first question is: will an SSD function as a boot disk on the Marvel chipset?

I tried posting on the Asus forum site, but it's not letting me in.

Any and all advice appreciated.

thanks,

John

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - P7P55D Deluxe Config Forum Date
    ASUS P7P55D-E PRO / Intel P55 Express - TRIM support? Motherboards Nov 2, 2013
    Question on P7P55D Deluxe and the PICe slots Motherboards Sep 26, 2011
    High pitched noise coming from Asus P7P55D Deluxe. Motherboards Sep 5, 2010
    Rollback P7P55D Deluxe Bios impossible? Motherboards Aug 9, 2010
    P7P55D-E Premium vs. P7P55D-E Deluxe Motherboards Dec 5, 2009

3. Dr J

Dr J Senior member

An update: I just downloaded HD Tune and tested my raid array, Raptor drives, got an average reading of 76 mb/s; shouldn't the score be at least twice as fast? I wasn't sure and so looked up the specs:

http://techreport.com/review/6390/western-digital-raptor-wd740gd-sata-hard-drive

and apparently my results are 4mb/s faster than the Tech Report experience. Wow, this seems like very poor performance by today's standards.

From what I understand, my motherboard, the PCI speed is limited to 3 gb/s and so is the bottleneck where an SSD is concerned. Given my current performance, however, will I not see a big improvement going to an SSD?

#2 Dr J, Feb 20, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  4. tcsenter

tcsenter Lifer

ASK if a mod will move this to Memory and Storage, maybe the more appropriate forum.