p6x58d-e wont save cpu voltage + strange QPI

supaidaaman

Nov 17, 2005
Ive been doing some overclocking tests with my i7 970 and p6x58d-e, and ive noticed it rarely holds the cpu voltage i set, I havent set it past 1.2v...not matter what i set its always locked at 1.16v or 1.18v.

Ive gotten 100% stable clocks all the way up to 3.6, but im waiting to get better cooling to try 4.

Im usually just using 25 or 24 mult and getting as close to my rated memory spec as possible.

QPI is set to auto
QPI/VTT voltage to 1.2V

all my power saving states disabled

QPI strangeness
Ive noticed some random QPI numbers in cpu-z. Often times when i change the overclock windows reads the QPI as my core speed--- For example CPU-z reads core speed at 3.5ghz, but QPI Link will read 3.2ghz and windows properties will show 3.2ghz, but when benching in cinebench i get speeds at 3.5ghz. (just example speed im not sure what it was actually set at because im at work atm)

Im running my ram with 1.5 divider so my 1600 ram reads at 2400.

Ive been ready tons of guides lately, and i cant seem to figure out what im doing wrong.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
im assuming you remembered to turn CPU voltage control to manual right?

failing that it sounds defective, i would consider flashing the latest bios and if that doesnt solve it then RMA it. FYI bios 303 works fine for me with voltage control working as it should.