P4C800 owners, How do OC and tweak?

Icewind

Banned
Jul 9, 2003
Ok, burn in for my new computer is nearing completion, and now its time to OC and tweak my baby. Im running P4C800-Deluxe Mobo, 2.8c P4, Kingston HyperX 3500 ram. Cooling the CPU is a brand new Zalman 7000cu.

I just need some help decipher were to go in the BIOS to starting tweaking my memory and CPU. What are the settings called that I need to change in order to start changing RAM timings and OC the FSB? At what point do I change to the 5:4 ratio, and what is that option called? Should I lock the AGP/PCI speed settings right away, and what option is that? What exactly do 2-2-3-7 mean? How will I know what timings will work best? What happens if my system hangs after restarting?

I just need a walkthrough so I know wha tim doing. This is the first P4 sytem ive owned after 2 athlon systems, and I wanna get started on the right foot, and not just start changing crap. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

bjc112

Lifer
Dec 23, 2000
Well you can first start off by bumping your FSB up by 3 or 5 mhz @ a time...

Your DDR is capable of a 217 FSB at tight timings, my ( Hyper X 3200 ) Does 220 FSB stable at 2/3/3/6... Yours will do at least 230...

Anyhow, raise the FSB until you reach a point of instability, then add a little voltage to the Vdimm (2.7v) in the BIOS. The Cpu would also like 5% voltage increase also, Vcore.

That should allow you to push further also. Once you realize your memory has hit the wall, you can opt for the 5:4 ratio and see how much further you can push it...

Lemme know how it goes..

Good Luck!

Icewind

Banned
Jul 9, 2003
Ok, but what setting is in the BIOS to change the FSB? Also, I heard people OC the CPU and not even needing to raise the Voltage on the CPU. Raising the voltage on the memory worries me, I haven't heard alot of people needing to do that.

But what are the timings? What exactly are they and what do they do and when do I start change them and how often? Arrrgh, thats the most confusing part

Icewind

Banned
Jul 9, 2003
Can someone PLEASE tell me what those RAM settings are and mean?? Im not asking much...:(