P4 will have 512k of L2 cache?

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
256k as far as I know

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1301&p=5

<< The Pentium 4 will also feature a 256KB L2 cache running at the processor's core clock speed. This L2 cache will feature a much higher bandwidth than the current 256KB L2 on the Pentium III, partly because of the fact that the Pentium 4 will be running at a higher clock speed but also because of the fact that data is transferred on every clock as opposed to every other clock with the Pentium III's cache. >>

JCholewa

Oct 11, 1999
P4 will have 256KB L2 cache. It's very similar to the &quot;ATC&quot; in the Coppermine except that the cache is now single pumped instead of half pumped (it gets data every clock cycle; on the Coppermine, the cache could only get data every other clock cycle).

P4 has 8KB Data L1 cache which (I think) has a two cycle latency.
It also has a much larger trace cache (analogous to an Instruction L1, but handled in a different part of the instruction pipe and with other differences) which can hold twelve thousand microOps, which is apparently north of a hundred kilobytes (but I'm not 100% certain of that).

P4 has a 217sqmm die (I think) with 256KB L2. PIII (cC0) has a 90sqmm die with 256KB L2 and somewhere around 300sqmm with 2MB L2 (I think). Having a P4 with 512KB more complex &quot;full speed&quot; L2 is possibly/likely over 250sqmm, which would be really annoying. I don't know the actual rule of thumb, but I'd say that you really want to be well under 200sqmm in order to be fruitful for the mass market.

But then, that's just my speculation.

-JC
PC News'n'Links
http://www.jc-news.com/pc

IaPuP

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2000
The Trace Cache is actually not that large. This is because the microops that it stores are actually 3-4 times less dense than x86 instructions (that normal L1 cache) holds.

It has the equvalent of an 16KB L1 (8KB data and 8KB instruction or so)

Eric