P4 2.8Ghz - Is 60 degrees to hot on CPU

Froid

Dec 10, 2002
I just built a new system with the Intel 2.8Ghz processor. It runs at about 45 or 50 degrees when idling and around 60-62 when the system is working harder. I am using the standard heat sink fan that came with my retail processor package. Should I be concerned about this temp? I have a new aluminum Antec case with two additional case fans running to help keep things cooler.

Thanks for your input!

Froid

Dec 10, 2002
By the way..... the system is very stable and everything is running very well and I am not doing any overclocking at this time. I simply am concerned that 60 degrees may be a little warm.

Viremia

Mar 4, 2003
What motherboard is this installed on?

How are you measuring temps?

Yes, those temps seem high. However, some boards have mis-calibrated temp probes.

Paveslave

Feb 18, 2003
Originally posted by: Froid
By the way..... the system is very stable and everything is running very well and I am not doing any overclocking at this time. I simply am concerned that 60 degrees may be a little warm.

Kudos to you for running stable at those temps. Mine likes to idle around 38-40 with normal room temps and can peak up to around 47-50 during heavy game play. My computer tends to bog down when the CPU temps get that high, but I'm not certain as to why. I don't know if the 2.8 is reaching it's temp sensor or is something else like my RAM or VGU heating up as well. All I do know is that when I get that high in temps my computer bogs down a lot. So, even though your temps are a lot higher than mine, it's good to see that you're still running stable.

Malladine

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
FYI pentium 4s (along with most modern CPUs) can take temperatures in the region of 70 C and remain stable. The model 10 XPs can take up to an official 85 C

Froid

Dec 10, 2002
Thanks for everyone's questions/thoughts...

The P4 2.8 is running on an Asus P4PE/R/L/S. I am using the ASUS Probe utility that comes with the motherboard to get the readings.
The case temp is running between 89 & 92 degrees.

On another note: I also have the same motherboard running with a P4 2.4 Ghz northwood chip and it runs in the upper 30's and sometimes up into the high 40's when loaded. This is why I am wondering about the temp on the 2.8 Ghz processor.