P4 1.6A HS? Help some one too anal for his own good

gsiener

Jun 14, 2000
Okay,
Here's my deal. If you've been paying close attention, you probably noticed my numerous posts about getting my new p4 to post.
Specs:
P4 1.6A retail
Asus p4b266 (retail)
2x256 DDR 2100
Antec 300W psu (using asus ez-plug)

EDIT: Read all if you want, or just skip to the end

<rant>
Well it seems I got one of those p4266 with the bug where onboard sound + pci = no go
I didn't know this was a problem though, so I racked my brains trying to figure out what was going on (spent literally two days on this)

I kept remounting the heatsink, I kept trying different video cards, ram combinations etc.

Finally I reset the cmos, with just agp + ddr, cpu + hsf. Everything boots fine, I install winXP, I run sandra for a while.

Then I decide to start upping the fsb (obviously). I get it to 120 with little prob, but I notice the temps are kinda high
(idle = 43C, load = 54C, stock voltage, case open). Well I figure maybe mine isn't as much a champ as some other chips.

Then, windows randomly locks up on me, no bsod, nothing, just stops. I reboot, and it doesn't post.

Well now I go about doing my insane process of trying everything to get it to work again, and finally I get it to work, but only when the heatsink isn't on. I know this isn't great but the mb shuts off if the temp is too high. I obviously can't get to windows without a hsf though. It just will not post with the hsf mounted.
<rant/>

I think that too much of the thermal tape stuff is gone, and I'm really pissed that I kept remounting. I also can't believe that intel would say something about this.

What are my options? I was thinking of using asIII anyway, but should I just rma and get a new cpu/hsf and start over?
There's a big splotch of thermal stuff on the cpu now, and the contact probably isn't good or something.

Help a guy out, please.

Graham

FrostyFlakes

Jan 6, 2001
put as on it. i run 54C at full and doesn't hiccup. no lockups or no posts or anything. get rid of the thermal paste and use some artic silver.

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Well once you run it and then remove the heatsink you can count the thermal substance as ruined...You need to use some rubbing alcohol and an edge of like a credit card and scrap substance off both the cpu and the heatsink...The apply AS3 on both hs and cpu and smooth out with same card...remember nice thin application will do...

My board ran fine at 2.4ghz with 1.65v and it reported 46c idle and 60c full in prime95 after 8 hours.....

I think your freezing up doesn't sound like heat and heat often result s in reboots....I think it is your power supply....

Boot up at default speed and watch the voltage rails..then move up slowly and watch the rails for any severe spiking....

Remember!!!! Every time you reseat HSF a new application of thermal paste is needed unless it was like a few seconds and the cpu really never posted...But, I would try to smooth out before I stuck hs back on...

gsiener

Jun 14, 2000
Okay I want to use AS3 now...
I feel like such an a$$ for constantly remounting...eh.

I have a few questions:
1) Should I scrape off all the thermal stuff and remove that silvery part between the hs and the black stuff?
2) Do you think once I put on as3 there won't be any probs with oc'ing the chip (ie did I do any damage?)
3) Best place to get as3?

Thanks so much for bearing with me guys, af rocks!

Graham

cyberizer9

Dec 30, 2001

<< Okay I want to use AS3 now...
I feel like such an a$$ for constantly remounting...eh.

I have a few questions:
1) Should I scrape off all the thermal stuff and remove that silvery part between the hs and the black stuff?
2) Do you think once I put on as3 there won't be any probs with oc'ing the chip (ie did I do any damage?)
3) Best place to get as3?

Thanks so much for bearing with me guys, af rocks!

Graham
>>

This is just to second the questions raised by Graham. I, due to memory issues, had to reseat the HS a few times. My CPU (1.6A) idle temp now at 2.13Ghz is 40c and full load (prime95) is 50c (Maximum). I have some AS2 at home, so if it is easy enough, I too might venture ahead with AS. Thanks.