P3 933

SC

Aug 18, 2000
Curious to see how much I can eek out of my P3-933. Anyone here got this same chip and is overclocking it? If so, what is the highest you've achieved and if possible list temperatures?

FYI, I got an Asus CUSL2, what do you have?

ginfest

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2000
I'm running my P3-1GB at 1125 (150 FSB) on a CUSL-2, cooling with an Alpha PAL 6035, stock Sanyo-Denki 20 CFM HS/fan combo.
Ambient room temp 20C
Cpu Diode at idle 28C
Full load 40C
mainboard 23C
all measured with MBM 5.07b
Suggest you check the CPU database for 933 at this link:
OC.com

RedRooster

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
I have a 933, but it's unlocked so I'm not sure how much the temps would differ from regular retail chips.
At default(933/1.65) my temps are:
Room - 25
Mobo - 29
CPU/idle - 36
CPU/load - 45(no matter how high the mobo temp gets)

I thought the temps were a little high when I was getting 43 with my FOP38, so I put on a PEP66 with 27cfm YSTech fan and now I'm getting the above temps. It's ok though, the noise reduction is well worth it. :)
Anyways, since the chip is unlocked, I can run it at 8*133(1066) at default voltage no problem, and I've been up to 1136(8*142) at default voltage(38idle/48load), could probably hit 1200 with mega volts, but my temps are high enough, I don't want to try.

There is some breathing room with these chips, maybe not as much as a TBird, but the lower temps and higher stability are worth it for me.

Realistically, I'd say Ginfest's overclock is the high end for the FSB on Intels, anymore is pure luck.

SC

Aug 18, 2000
Wow cool.. I'm at 997 right now but it seems to be on the warmer side. How accurate is the Asus PC Probe temp? My temp shows CPU 111F, Mobo 95F. Stock Intel Fan.

Red, did that PEP66 fit ok on the CUSL2? Isn't that the cooler with the fan on the side of the heat sink?

RedRooster

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
optimistic:
They're engineering samples, and I don't know how I lucked out getting one, but I bought a 933 from a fella on the ForSale board and this is what he sent me. :)

SC:
I guess the Asus Probe is ok, I used to use it when I first got the board too, and while it looked pretty decent and did a lot of things I still went back to motherboard monitor. Just a fantastic program it is. Just don't run them both at the same time.
And as for the PEP66, yes, it does have the side mount fan(pointing up towards the PS). I didn't have enough room, so I rotated the metal skirt so the fan faced up and the east side of the heatsink was left bare. Probably the fact that the thing isn't installed properly is making the temps a little higher than they should. Might have to look into a new case, even though I have a huge Inwin Q500. :) Damn computers, they're suckin my wallet dry I tell ya!