P2P In the Navy, 85 students 'disciplined' for file trading

bonkers325

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
"85 Naval Academy students charged with illegal file trading have been 'disciplined' by the Navy, bringing smiles to the faces of RIAA representatives. Last fall Navy officials seized nearly 100 computers, and 85 students have since been "disciplined" according to Business Week. Commander Bill Spann says the decision was "about holding the next generation of our nation's combat leadership accountable for their actions." An RIAA spokesman was pleased with the decision. "When colleges and universities enforce their own policies against copyright infringement occurring on their campuses, it is often a wake-up call to those unaware of the serious consequences involved in engaging in this type of illegal activity." (This Baltimore Sun article offers some interesting additional information)"

Link

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Gawd, the RIAA needs to get its head out of it's ass.

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
I guess it would be a lot worse getting disciplined at one of the service academies or someplace like VMI for file trading. ;)

Dudd

Platinum Member
Aug 3, 2001
The Navy has deep pockets. Knowing what kind of bastards the RIAA is, I wouldn't be surprised if they sued the school, so they're probably doing this for their own protection.

ROTC1983

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2002
Originally posted by: Dudd
The Navy has deep pockets. Knowing what kind of bastards the RIAA is, I wouldn't be surprised if they sued the school, so they're probably doing this for their own protection.

I agree with that.

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Eli
Gawd, the RIAA needs to get its head out of it's ass.

Seriously though I am lost here. As much I hate most of what the RIAA does, instead of taking legal action they're just asked the organization they belonged to do something about it. Are you saying they shouldn't try to protect their copyright at all?