P2414H - my first IPS screen

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
After much searching and checking around for deals here in South Africa I finally bit the bullet and ordered the P2414H. It should arrive either today or tomorrow. This will be my first IPS based monitor (AH-IPS), and I must say I am very excited. :D

I hear it comes pre calibrated and is quite good as is but apparently there are some profiles out there that tweak it even further. I have also heard that it can be overclocked to 72Hz though that one I need to do some more research. If anyone has some suggestions for some tweaks please post. I will take some screen shots with my phone when I can.

The thing that appealed to me was TFTs final comment. "The Dell P2414H was a positive upgrade to the P series of screens. The move to the very popular IPS panel technology is a great move by Dell, and it can now offer some excellent all-round performance as a result."

It also seems to be flicker free, decent for gaming and has no overshoot.
Light AG coating is a welcome change from previous models.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_p2414h.htm

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
Well I said I would give some feedback and here it is. Let me put a disclaimer that I am very novice when it comes to monitor reviews and this is only what I am seeing coming from a lot of TN panels over the years.

First things first... WOW... the color accuracy is insane. They just POP! :eek:
I installed the TFT centrals ICC profile. I am not sure whether to use manual or auto but seems auto handles it well enough.

I set the Brightness to 35% and Contrast to 75% I believe.
Then I went into the monitors RBG control and the set the manual settings from TFT central.
After that I installed and set the new custom profile as default. It still pushes brightness a little high in games but its much improved over any TN panel I have used.

I went through a variety of videos, and played Skyrim for about 3 hours. Its amazing how much better Skyrim looks on this Monitor. I noticed no discernable lag or latency and no overshoot. The IPS glow that many people dislike is there more to the bottom left corner but not distracting and once ingrossed in a game or movie is not even an issue.
The Monitors height, pivot and swivel all happen very smoothly and require very little effort. I have not changed to portrait view yet. The build quality is very good, much sturdier that any
other monitor I have ever used. Menu buttons on the right are extremely functional and intuitive.

I have taken a variety of pictures using my Iphone 4S but in poor light so please excuse the lack of clarity. I will try and get hold of a better camera from a family member to take some better pictures. If there are any pictures you want of the Monitor itself, please let me know and I will do my best to assist. :)

Last edited:

Morbus

Apr 10, 2009
Great stuff. IPS is phenomenal in terms of color accuracy. I love it. My LG IPS234 is rated at 14ms GtG response time, and that kind of worried me when I bought it. Guess what, it's better than my old Samsung 943 which was rated at 5ms.

Great stuff.

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
Great stuff. IPS is phenomenal in terms of color accuracy. I love it. My LG IPS234 is rated at 14ms GtG response time, and that kind of worried me when I bought it. Guess what, it's better than my old Samsung 943 which was rated at 5ms.

Great stuff.

This Screen is supposed to be between 6-8ms (tft tested) if I recall correctly and its better than most TN panels I have used save a 2ms unit I had a while back. Color accuracy wise it blows them out of the water. Its like I am seeing proper color rendering for the first time. South Africa is about 20-30% more expensive for Electronics and I got this at a steal. Well by our pricing cost me R3150 which equates to around $280 - $300 depending on rate of exchange.

I lived in the United States for 12 years and I miss the prices. :D