P233 + Radeon = Home Theater

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
I picked up a Radeon 7200 PCI on the cheap awhile ago for my mum's olde school P233MMX (upgraded via PowerLeap adapter from P166), Intel VX, 64MB, SB16 + AWE32, XP Pro.

Messing around, I played a 320x240 MPEG-1 clip full screen and was amazed at what an improvement the VPU made to performance -it was flawless. So I just had to try MPEG-4 and sure enough a good res DivX works great at full frame-rate with no drops in the renderer. I enabled all the quality options in DivX 5 but had to set the postprocessing (CPU slider quality) to minimum. Don't let anyone tell ya that video cards don't make a difference to movie quality or performance, even when not using MC or iDCT.

Goi

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
THe P233MMX's not gonna cut it for DVDs though, most people recommend at least a 500MHz P2-class processor, but I'd say that's the minimum requirements. Even my Celeron 850 stutters a bit when playing DVDs, so I'd recommend at least a 1GHz CPU. Your video card is good though.

jiffylube1024

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Goi
THe P233MMX's not gonna cut it for DVDs though, most people recommend at least a 500MHz P2-class processor, but I'd say that's the minimum requirements. Even my Celeron 850 stutters a bit when playing DVDs, so I'd recommend at least a 1GHz CPU. Your video card is good though.

Well, seeing as DivX (high quality) is more hardware intensive than DVD playing, I think it *could* work on this machine. I really don't think that he's getting "no dropped frames" on a high quality DivX with a P233, considering I've seen DivX choppy on a ~P500 with a Voodoo3.

Goi

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Well, seeing as DivX (high quality) is more hardware intensive than DVD playing, I think it *could* work on this machine. I really don't think that he's getting "no dropped frames" on a high quality DivX with a P233, considering I've seen DivX choppy on a ~P500 with a Voodoo3
Precisely...even my Celeron 850 with a Voodoo3 stutters when playing divx sometimes, so I'm pretty sure he's not getting "no dropped frames" either...depends on what you consider as "cutting it" i guess.

Peter

Elite Member
Oct 15, 1999
Originally posted by: Goi

Now isn't it odd that the original post exactly contradicts you? It DOES work for him.

Goi

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Yeah, for MPEG-1 and MPEG-4, I was talking about DVDs though.

Peter

Elite Member
Oct 15, 1999
Especially for DVD play, SiS and ATi graphics chips and integrated chipsets have had accelerator hardware for quite a while (SiS's dates back to 1997!). Pentium-233MMX combined with the ancient SiS 6326DVD graphics chip indeed does flawless DVD.

regards, Peter

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Hey, what is to doubt? This is not subjective. The standard MS renderer filter includes stats for frame rate and frames dropped.

And yes, DVD MPEG-2 is less intensive than MPEG-4. Unfortunately the machine does not have a DVD drive. For laughs I may try a small movie VOB that will fit on CD or else bring my own DVD drive over. I wonder if playing from DVD uses more CPU cylces than from CD? But HW acceleration should negate that and make MPEG-2 even less CPU intensive.

My C450 with Savage4 was overkill for DVD and Radeon is even better -nevermind the added iDCT. The problem with Voodoo is those had really bad video scaling and of course even lacked MC.

Anyhoo, I though it was a nifty experiment and will not let the doubting Thomas's pee on my parade :p

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
If you're happy with the results, then by all means keep it. Personally I feel like you need at least 800mhz with a decent vid card, but that's just me ;-)

If you are satisfied with it, enjoy it!