Oxygen VX1 video card question

Nailbunny

Aug 24, 2000
Does anyoe know much about this card. I know it's an older card and geared for 3D apps...what makes it great for 3D? I can get one pretty cheap (hopefully like $12)..is it worth it? How would it be for 3D games of today and how would it stack up to a Geforce 2 or 3?

Keep in mind this isn't the "newer" GVX1..but the older 16MB one.

Thanks,
-NB

AnAndAustin

Platinum Member
Apr 15, 2002
:eek: Well the Oxygen VX1 came out around Jan 2000 and sold for around £200/$200 and geared towards commercial users running CAD and animation applications. The chip also provides acceleration for 100 percent of the OpenGL 1.2 pipeline, accelerated volumetric rendering, bump-mapping with per-pixel lighting, dual bilinear mip-mapping or triple texture blending in a single cycle. IIRC it is a DX6 card, like the Voodoo cards while GF2, Rad7500 etc are DX7 cards. It was decidely average at the time and sported esp poor Direct3D perf, a lot has happened in the last 3 or so years we're talking GF 256 (GF1) territory here. This is from notes and memory but I'm pvery sure it is accurate.

Nailbunny

Aug 24, 2000
Thanks AnAndAustin..so would it be worth the $12 for using in 3D apps..or would a Geforce2 GTS still be better?

AnAndAustin

Platinum Member
Apr 15, 2002
:eek: I'd still expect the GF2GTS would be better even in the professional applications, and certainly way better for anything else. Either way the 16MB RAM will surely hurt you. $12 isn't a whole lot to pay to try it out, but I doubt it will be an improvement on a GF2MX let alone a GF2GTS.

Nailbunny

Aug 24, 2000
Thanks for the input guys. If I get it, it'll be used in my (hardly utilized K6-3) 3rd machine...it's better than the Diamond 4MB card in it now.