Oxygen Not Included - Early Access game from the makers of Don't Starve

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
https://www.kleientertainment.com/games/oxygen-not-included

Has anyone been playing this? I'm really enjoying it, quite a bit more than Don't Starve in fact. It's a 2D base-builder where you're stuck miles below the surface of an alien planet and you have to mine, farm, build, etc. The main twist to the game play is that you need to deal with very basic fluid dynamics and gasses. You need to generate oxygen and deal with carbon dioxide, chlorine, hydrogen, and other stuff.

It's pretty interesting, although still super early in testing. It's totally playable though, and my favorite streamer, akamikeb, is doing a Let's Play: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqiOAQ8mcyA&list=PLKSzOMQMo9pdiyFcBuAwmagDoBz8olqbM

I've already gotten my $20 worth out of it. I definitely encourage you to check it out if it sounds at all interesting to you.

base.jpg

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I wanna try, but I've got so many early access games right now I dont think I should buy any more.
Too many of them arent ever getting finished, and the ones that are have not impressed me much. They finally completed Lego Worlds last week. I did not love it.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
I have seen some videos of people playing it but I doubt I will get it.

I just couldn't get into don't starve for some reason, maybe because I prefer base building games that you can play forever where it's not game over when you die although that can be fixed in that game, and from what I saw so far you can't play this game for a long time as last I checked you have a limited water supply although I am sure that would be fixed.

It is a decent concept but not worth the purchase for me although I will continue to watch a few youtubers play it at times.

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
Looks interesting. Don't Starve was pure gold (and I normally hate those "rogue" type games).

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
I have seen some videos of people playing it but I doubt I will get it.

I just couldn't get into don't starve for some reason, maybe because I prefer base building games that you can play forever where it's not game over when you die although that can be fixed in that game, and from what I saw so far you can't play this game for a long time as last I checked you have a limited water supply although I am sure that would be fixed.

It is a decent concept but not worth the purchase for me although I will continue to watch a few youtubers play it at times.

Right now its feasible to play long term, not forever, but VERY long term. But that is mostly because of supposed bugs, things that may or may not work as intended. Duplicates (your people) puke if stressed, and you can stress them quite easily, puke is currently supposed to be annoying (and walking through it makes other duplicates stressed) but you can farm PUKE for water, and they PUKE way to much right now (contaminated water). SO at this moment water is not the issue really. the map is gigantic and there are lots of contaminated water pools. But WATER is one of the problems, to much stuff uses it. Game is a bit to easy right now as GAS one of the major parts of the game is not working as it should. You can trap duplicates out in poisonous gas and if they sleep they don't die ( i have killed one by drowning it, no other way), they seem to last forever sometimes, put them in bed with poor oxygen and they cant sleep.. very bugged.

I have to agree its worth the buy in right now, but it needs more, the tech tree is small, but on a huge placeholder page, i wonder how much more they plan to add? There are no real enemies except the environment, yes there are odd creatures bt they pose little risk. Power is far more concerning to me than water, and copper/coal. it appears your starting spot is about it for those resources, but i have not dug left and right much to see.

FOOD, way to slow to make, i guess harvesting lice is only way to go..
Water- starting map make sure you have plenty, some random maps have way to little.
Copper- again, make sure there is enough in starting area or restart the map.
Duplicates- stick with around 6, more seems like a good idea but it really isnt at this time

duplicates- ANEMIC- brutal to have later in game. Look for LEARNING , Divers Lungs, but #1 thing.. low decor skills, again, later game will make this part brutal if the decor skills are all high.

This game right now isn't so much about surviving, its more about planning a GREAT base build that is not just a CLUSTER mess that works, but a fine oiled machine that works well.

I think they should add a version where they DUPS are all random and you cant pick and chose, and they never stop, sort of a play till you cant support them all mode. Not that you couldn't do that now.