Owners of dry-cleaning business that were frivously sued for $54 million have to close shop

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

m1ldslide1

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2006
Originally posted by: Mxylplyx
Originally posted by: m1ldslide1
I think that for all intensive purposes this judge's career is over. At least so I heard.

Like everyone else, I think these people should have legal recourse against him.

I bet the lawyers just love this shit. Suing people for being sued. Lawyers are a burden on almost everything we do in this country. I think all lawyers should be tossed into the middle of the ocean.

Just like cops, right? I understand yours and others frustrations, but lawyers = necessary evil. Otherwise the have-nots would be even further exploited by the haves. This is why we need some reform of the justice system. And that of course DOES NOT include putting caps on medical malpractice suits. (Hooray for pharmaceutical lobbyists!) It should include tort reform of some sort, hopefully some kind of litmus test that doesn't exclude those with legitimate suits. I'm not terribly educated in law, so thankfully that isn't up to me. Unfortunately it is left up to politicians and the lobbyists who fund them.

Juno

Lifer
Jul 3, 2004
judge wants more money, i suppose.

he needs to stop whining because it's just a friggin pair of pants! buy a pair of $30 pants and let it go. :confused:

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile
American legal system at its best!

It all makes me sick to my stomach...the lawsuit culture we have in this country...and the greed that fuels it...on both sides, those looking for the "easy lottery" and the lawyers who agree to work on their behalf.

The fact that it was a judge who ruined these honest hard working people is just despicable...

jme5343

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2003
Originally posted by: waggy
Originally posted by: trmiv
$54 million? I want to see these frigging pants! They must be diamond studded.

dad part is they found the pants a long time ago. he refuses to pick them up.

They should ebay them...

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I think that for all intensive purposes this judge's career is over. At least so I heard.

Like everyone else, I think these people should have legal recourse against him.

I think you mean for all intents and purposes...

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Unfortunately, for judges and lawyers, the cost to sue someone is pretty small. I would not be surprised if the judge figured it wouldn't even matter if he won or lost the suit, because forcing the dry cleaners to defend themselves is punishment in itself.

Because legal issues are not decided swiftly, even if the loser pays there's no undoing the damage. Not just the stress, but the time spent dealing with court date after court date.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: waggy
Originally posted by: trmiv
$54 million? I want to see these frigging pants! They must be diamond studded.

dad part is they found the pants a long time ago. he refuses to pick them up.

yea. He instead changed the reason of the lawsuit to false advertising. He claimed the Chungs didnt meet their "Satisfaction Guaranteed" sign posted on their window

Mr Incognito

Golden Member
Feb 20, 2007
Fuck that guy for carrying on such a frivolous lawsuit.

Fuck America for letting shit like this happen.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: Queasy
Topic Title: Owners of dry-cleaning business that were frivously sued for $54 million have to close shop

Mission Accomplished

I'll give you one guess as to which political party trial lawyers give the most money to.

Hint: It isn't the Republicans.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: BoberFett
Topic Title: Owners of dry-cleaning business that were frivously sued for $54 million have to close shop

Mission Accomplished

I'll give you one guess as to which political party trial lawyers give the most money to.

It's an irony not lost on me that when Dave and his P&N circle-jerkers talk about corporations and regulations and "free" markets that they're really talking about how much they hate small business.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Platypus
waggy you should use the bulldog avatar

yeah waggy and I disagre bur I can respect somebody who stands by what they believe!!

Bulldog avatar waggy!!!

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Vic
Originally posted by: BoberFett

Mission Accomplished

It's an irony not lost on me that when Dave and his P&N circle-jerkers talk about corporations and regulations and "free" markets that they're really talking about how much they hate small business.

Well, these greedy immigrants were harming that poor judge. They should be made to pay for his pants. And health care. And gas. And milk.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
That judge deserves to be egged. Not his house, not his car, but him. Repeatedly. With rotten eggs. While he wears the pants that the cleaners gave back to him. (I don't remember if they found the pants or if they bought him a brand new pair, one of those two).

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus

It amazes me how many people still think the phrase is "all intensive purposes"

It doesnt even make sense!

What the hell is an intensive purpose???

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
Originally posted by: akshatp
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus

It amazes me how many people still think the phrase is "all intensive purposes"

It doesnt even make sense!

What the hell is an intensive purpose???

For all non-intensive purposes, I don't know how to respond to that.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Triumph
(I don't remember if they found the pants or if they bought him a brand new pair, one of those two).
They found it a few days later with the ticket number matching the one he gave them. He claimed at that time that it was not the same pair of pants, thus his suing them for "satisfaction guranteed".