Overscan issues with Radeon cards

Ancalagon44

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2010
Hey guys,

Does anyone else have issues with overscan and Radeon cards? My 7790 is permanently connected to my TV, and I always get overscan with it. I am eventually able to find settings that "work", but I always have to use a workaround. Was wondering if anyone else has similar problems? I had the same problem occurring with a 5770, and its been occurring through multiple driver revisions, from drivers that were around when I had my 5770, to Crimson Edition.

What happens is that when I connect my video card to my TV at 1080p60 (native resolution for TV), I get overscan. I open the Radeon settings application, but overscan settings are disabled - I can't change them. Sometimes the workaround is to change to a different resolution where I can adjust overscan, adjust the overscan, and then go back to 1080p60. But it doesn't always work, and it didn't last night. After installing Crimson Edition (I was hoping it had fixes for this), the only way I get get a nice picture is to use 1080p50. I can adjust overscan at 1080p50 but not at 1080p60. Not sure why.

My PC is connected to my TV via an AV receiver - a Denon AVR X500, which is an entry level receiver. My TV is a very very basic 40 inch from about 5 years ago. It was made by a tiny manufacturer which I think has since gone out of business. So, neither my receiver nor my TV have any scaling or image adjustment settings at all. I mean, I can adjust contrast and brightness and that, but not scaling. I can't change the image size using the receiver or the TV. The only thing I can do with the TV is crop the image.

Maybe my TV is the problem (and I'll probably replace it next year). But what I want to know is, why does AMD disable that scaling/overscan adjustment setting at all? Surely if I want to adjust scaling at 1080p60, I should be able to? Even if that is my display's native resolution.

I have tried everything - GPU scaling on and off, etc etc. I found some registry setting hacks which didn't make a massive difference if I remember correctly. No permanent fixes.

Any ideas?

Piroko

Jan 10, 2013
I had the same issue a couple of years back with a Samsung not-so-Smart-TV, it was definitely an issue from the TV-side and this fixed it permanently for me.
Perhaps play a bit with the input configuration, else you may be out of luck.

Overscan is a relic that should have never made it to digital inputs.

Ancalagon44

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2010
I had the same issue a couple of years back with a Samsung not-so-Smart-TV, it was definitely an issue from the TV-side and this fixed it permanently for me.
Perhaps play a bit with the input configuration, else you may be out of luck.

Overscan is a relic that should have never made it to digital inputs.

Yeah I really don't get the overscan thing. 1080 pixels should be 1080 pixels, right? Not more, not less.

Bryf50

Golden Member
Nov 11, 2006
Your TV doesn't have a 1:1 or Just Scan option? Any of the major brands usually have that option. Way better than try to adjust for overscan on the PC side.

Edit: Never mind just read the post again.

Last edited: