Overscan Issue Help

gummby8

Apr 14, 2010
card: 8800 GTX
Win XP 32 bit
2 monitors one is a 32" tv with little to no settings for resolution it just sits in 16:9 mode, the other is a standard tube monitor
connected to the TV via DVI to HDMI cable

I have downloaded the latest drivers for the card literally 5 min ago. Restarted too.
I can fix the overscan issue with the desktop easy using the Nvidia control panel and this built in feature

untitled-15.jpg

This feature has changed the resolution to fit the TV ( which is apparently 1080p , 1784 x 1016 )

HOWEVER the second a game or any program whatsoever changes the resolution via full-screen, TA DA! all my overscan issues are back.

I have searched for weeks now for various different fixes, from modifying registry values from 00 00 00 to 01 00 00 (that didn't work because searching for videoborder or video border turns up nothing), various windower programs just to force the programs into a windowed mode ( doesn't always work )

There is no setting on the TV for changing resolutions. I have a zoom feature, that's it. The TV does not recognize the PC because it is not using a VGA cable to connect thus any and all PC settings on the TV are all greyed out.

So again, anything using the desktops resolution, works fine. Anything that changes the resolution to function, has terrible overscan.

If anyone has some sort of patch,fix,ritual, or vodoo magic that will just make this thing frigging work properly, I'd love to know. The Nvidia support and community has been less than helpful so I am forced to seek out help elsewhere.
Thanks in advance.

Sheninat0r

Jun 8, 2007
What games are you playing? In both Oblivion and Torchlight (and Source games), my TV's "new" native resolution was recognized correctly and they played flawlessly.

marsbound2024

Aug 14, 2007
What if you select the option "Do not resize my desktop" and set the resolution to 1920x1080 on your computer and let it sit there. Then attach the second monitor and adjust the resolution accordingly (probably regular VGA resolution??) through your display options. Don't resize your desktop. Make sure your zoom feature is turned off on your TV. Just have it standard or fill/just fill.

What is this 1784x1016 resolution? That's not a normal resolution that I am aware of. I don't know why the maker of a TV would have that type of res.

gummby8

Apr 14, 2010
What if you select the option "Do not resize my desktop" and set the resolution to 1920x1080 on your computer and let it sit there. Then attach the second monitor and adjust the resolution accordingly (probably regular VGA resolution??) through your display options. Don't resize your desktop. Make sure your zoom feature is turned off on your TV. Just have it standard or fill/just fill.

What is this 1784x1016 resolution? That's not a normal resolution that I am aware of. I don't know why the maker of a TV would have that type of res.

Changing the resolution back to native resolution causes the desktop to suffer overscan again. The odd resolution number is created once I use the Nvidai tool to correct HDTV overscan. Problem is it only works on the desktop. Once you use ANY program that uses its own resolution while in fullscreen the overscan returns, because it is not using the custom resolution I set for the desktop anymore. It has something to do with HDTVs pixel ratio not being the same as a PC video card output.

Tigerwraith

Jun 1, 2009
Whats happening is that you have your desktop resized to your TV doing the overscan. I would check to see if you can turn off the overscan on the TV for that connection. If not then theres a setting in the Nvidia control screen that you can set what controls the size, ie the tv or the gfx card.

gummby8

Apr 14, 2010
Whats happening is that you have your desktop resized to your TV doing the overscan. I would check to see if you can turn off the overscan on the TV for that connection. If not then theres a setting in the Nvidia control screen that you can set what controls the size, ie the tv or the gfx card.

I know what you are saying...but no there is not. As I stated in teh first post the TV has no resolution settings other than a zoom feature. All other settings are greyed out because its VGA port is not in use. I am using the HDMI port. The TV does not recognise it as a PC. As for the Nvidia control screen, look at the screenshot. That's all there is for resolution for the TV. Re-size, or that other sidebar, where every setting causes overscan. The resolution tab on the sidebar only offers standard resolutions (all which cause overscan) or make a custom resolution. The custom resolution only offers size, and refresh rate.

Tigerwraith

Jun 1, 2009
Ok I just looked at your screenshot, and I almost missed what you missed, your nvidia card is seeing your hdtv as a Targa LCDTV16 which if you video card is seeing that its prob not displaying the right resolution. Try unchecking the box that says hide resolutions and then going there and selecting the correct resolution for your TV.

And please check back in with us to let us know if that worked.

marsbound2024

Aug 14, 2007
I wish I could provide more information but I am not using the nVidia Control Panel since I have an HD5850, and furthermore, this falls outside of my technical expertise as I have not messed with trying to display graphics on non-standard resolutions (especially not with two monitors).

Tigerwraith

Jun 1, 2009
I think whats going on is his gfx card sees his tv as something that it isnt, and therefor he isnt able to get the right resolutions for his tv. He may need to update his drivers or he may have to trick the gfx into seeing a different TV or open the setting that allows more resolutions to be displayed.

gummby8

Apr 14, 2010
untitled-16.jpg

This is the screen for the resolution page. If I choose any resolution other than the crazy one that was created after using the screen resize tool that I highlighted in the last screenshot, I get massive overscan

So just to recap, Using the resize desktop option in the first screenshot fixes the overscan while viewing the desktop.

Choosing any other resolution causes overscan. Including any resolution listed in the PC catagory, which you can hardly see in the current screenshot.

Even with the desktop resolution fixed and game that forces a full screen mode will have overscan because it does not use the desktop resolution rather the game will force its own resolution IE: Starcraft runs in a native 800 x 600 and thus has overscan unless forced into a windowed mode.

I've read elsewhere that this is a major problem with this video card, and while nvidia released a patch to correct the desktop resolution, via the tool in the first screenshot, it is only a bandaid fix because the resolution is not the problem it is the pixel ratio between the card and the TV since HD tvs utilize a different pixel ratio than normal LCD monitors

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Have you considered that your tv is sending bad edid information to your graphics card? I've got the same problem with my lg l246wp monitor and any gtx 200 or higher card. I had to manually enter information into the registry telling it to ignore the edid flags and providing it with the position of the monitor so it would stay centered. Try searching google for edid correction on your tv model and see what happens.

Tigerwraith

Jun 1, 2009
Gummby im not sure if its your gfx card or not, I had a 8800 GT and it always saw my hdtv when I would use the dvi to hdmi cable. The only other suggestion that I have is to try the vga port on your tv if it has one and see if that fixes the problem.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I've read elsewhere that this is a major problem with this video card, and while nvidia released a patch to correct the desktop resolution, via the tool in the first screenshot, it is only a bandaid fix because the resolution is not the problem it is the pixel ratio between the card and the TV since HD tvs utilize a different pixel ratio than normal LCD monitors

The problem is not the video card, but the television set. Get a new TV.

gummby8

Apr 14, 2010
Went and got a VGA cable. Problem solved.

Although I am not too happy about not being able to fully utilize the HD power of both the card and the TV and being forced back into VGA. I don't notice anything right away but well see once I actually try to run some higher graphics through it.

For those wondering. It is a Viore 32" LCD TV. So if you are looking to use PC DVI to HDMI on it....don't

Patrick Wolf

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2005
I'd say the problem is with the TV not having a "Just" or "Just Scan" mode. The native resolution of that TV is 1366x768. Neither my 9800 GX2 or 5770 have that exact resolution available, but 1360x768 instead which if selected you shouldn't have any overscan issues in "16:9" mode. Without "Just Scan" any resolution other than the native will have overscan issues. Such is the case with my TV. Course my TV's manual actually says which HDMI port to use if connecting to a PC so maybe check your manual.

My TV's native rez is 1366x768 also. Just Scan mode doesn't exist when that rez or any other standard PC rez is selected. If I select 16:9 mode with either 1280x720 or 1920x1080 I get overscan. 1920x1080 overscan is fixed by switching to "Just Scan". But 1280x720 needs a special rez of 1266x712 to not get overscan. This isn't necessary with my 5770 as it has an overscan/underscan slider, but using it causes subtle grey lines to appear on the screen. Hopefully drivers will fix this as I can't even create a 1266x712 rez with this card.

I have a feeling a native TV of 1080p would solve many issues...