Overheating SSD

Brado78

Jan 26, 2015
Hey Gang :)

Anyone else have the Adata SU800 that gets on the hot side. The hard drive below it stays at a nice 28 celsius
and the SSD is 42 celsius at idle. The Sandisk in my lap top idles at 29 celsius. Could this be a firmware issue? Also i installed windows 10 on the brand new ssd and Hard Disk Sentinel says that it had 1500 erros of data transfer...What is going on with it?

Thanks

Brad

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Well, it could be bad, but my personal experience, having used several 128GB SU800 units, is that what you are seeing is probably "normal", or within expected variance.

42C, while a bit warm for idle, is not something to be particularly concerned about, and it may simply be measuring temp in a slightly different way than other drives. These aren't precision-calibrated temp probes, to my knowledge. They just have to be accurate enough to throttle properly when they get too warm / hot.

What does the drive report under heavy load? If this is a fresh Windows 10 install on a new SSD, then the disk may indeed be under "heavy load", even without any programs running. Task Manager - Disk should show usage percentage graphs.

As for the 1500 errors, what kind of errors?

Brado78

Jan 26, 2015
1500 errors occured during data transfer. This may be an indication of hard drive data cable or power cable. replacement of the drive is not yet possible. Sentinel gives the drive 80% both in performance and health. Should i be worried i mean this is a brand new drive :/

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
Could you please post the sentinel readout? I am curious about it but I would be nervous about any new drive not being perfect. At least its not DOA like an Inland 240GB I pulled out of the box and read 2MB in capacity this week..

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Just entered my mind and I should go back review and ask more questions. Barring that, hadn't there been an issue needing to be addressed about alignment and SSDs?

The temperature seems too high, even if acceptable. I've never had an SSD that didn't idle at almost equal to room ambient. I DO of course always give attention to ventilation.

taisingera

Golden Member
Dec 27, 2005
I just bought two SU800 128GB from Newegg, and in a 13.3" Dell Vostro, one runs at 47-48C. In a 17.3" Dell XPS L702X, that one runs at 50-54C. However, if doing anything intensive, like Windows updates, the one in Vostro only rises to 50C, but the one in the XPS, I have seen hit 61C! There is nothing I can do about the cooling in these laptops. I think the plastic enclosure of the SSD is what is hurting the thermal dissipation of the drives.

For a bit of reference, I have an almost 2 year old Adata SP920 (also plastic) in a SFF case, placed in the optical bay (with adapters), and that thing never really gets above 42C.