Overheated E4500...

ToneCrafter

Jan 22, 2008
Hey all! Obviously I'm a newb here. Hope you don't mind me joining in. :)

I've got a question regarding my new E4500 C2D proc. I was running 3dmark06 earlier and when I got to the cpu test my computer started beeping at me. Long story short, I tried a few more times only to find out that my cpu was reaching too high of temps causing my comp to beep at me. It only happed twice........is there any chance that I may have messed up the cpu? I reseated the cooler and all seems to be well now.

Thanks in advance for the help, all. :)

Regalk

Golden Member
Feb 7, 2000
I believe you answered your question. Usually the built in Thermal control will kick in if temps get too high - a built in protection feature

brencat

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2007
Welcome to the forums! You are probably okay now, but let's be sure. I'm assuming you're at stock right now on CPU.

Make sure you are using Coretemp 0.95.4 beta or higher, and/or Speedfan 4.33 with 4.34 patch or greater in order to get proper temp readings. Using either of these tools, what are the load temps you get when running Orthos?

Also:
What vcore are you using?
What bios version and Uguru version do you have?
Are you running RAM 1:1 ? What timings?

ToneCrafter

Jan 22, 2008
Good to hear. I apologize if it was a dumb question. I'm new to building comps on my own. As long as I know the cpu will be ok.......all is fine. lol

ToneCrafter

Jan 22, 2008
Originally posted by: brencat
Welcome to the forums! You are probably okay now, but let's be sure. I'm assuming you're at stock right now on CPU.

Make sure you are using Coretemp 0.95.4 beta or higher, and/or Speedfan 4.33 with 4.34 patch or greater in order to get proper temp readings. Using either of these tools, what are the load temps you get when running Orthos?

Also:
What vcore are you using?
What bios version and Uguru version do you have?
Are you running RAM 1:1 ? What timings?

My coretemp is version 0.96.1.

Phoenix AwardBIOS v6.00PG

Everything is bone stock...if that helps.

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
Originally posted by: ToneCrafter
Good to hear. I apologize if it was a dumb question. I'm new to building comps on my own. As long as I know the cpu will be ok.......all is fine. lol

Not a dumb question...Just a concerned one...which is good...:thumbsup:

For now, just keep everything at stock and follow this guide:
How to guide: Memtest86+, Prime95, and SP2004
That is to Test your single/dual/quad core rig for stability.

Once you are stable and your temps are okay at stock then you are good to go.

I really don't think you damaged your CPU, the safety feature kicked in at it was supposed to.
I've noticed that CPUs don't malfunction...they either work or they don't

:beer:

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
just means your cpu went above ~80 or 85 degrees C. Thats where my 4300 beeps at me. If your running stock, you should probably reseat the cooler (as you've done) and the temps should go lower. You dont wanna see temperatures above 70, really.

open up coretemp next time your gaming, or benching and look at the temps during load. OR try a program called Intel TAT

Xvys

Aug 25, 2006
These are tough cpu's. I had my E6300 running near 85C for months, 24/7. My temps were always screwy and all over the map, and even though they were high, I assumed the sensors were faulty. The first time I loaded Coretemp it was flashing: Warning, Processor 85C! Shut down processor immediately! Of course, I ignore it thinking it was just another sensor glitch as the computer was working perfectly. The system had no speaker, so if it was trying to beep at me, I didn't hear it. Then after a couple of months I noticed the heatsink was dangling loose a bit. Sure enough a couple of the pins had popped out! My heatsink had been unnattached for all that time. But idespite of that abuse, I am still using that cpu today. It overclocked to 533FSB x 7 on both my vanilla P5B and my current P5K Deluxe. So no worse for wear "These are one tough hombres!

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
Originally posted by: Xvys
These are tough cpu's. I had my E6300 running near 85C for months, 24/7. My temps were always screwy and all over the map, and even though they were high, I assumed the sensors were faulty. The first time I loaded Coretemp it was flashing: Warning, Processor 85C! Shut down processor immediately! Of course, I ignore it thinking it was just another sensor glitch as the computer was working perfectly. The system had no speaker, so if it was trying to beep at me, I didn't hear it. Then after a couple of months I noticed the heatsink was dangling loose a bit. Sure enough a couple of the pins had popped out! My heatsink had been unnattached for all that time. But idespite of that abuse, I am still using that cpu today. It overclocked to 533FSB x 7 on both my vanilla P5B and my current P5K Deluxe. So no worse for wear "These are one tough hombres!

holy shnikes! did you push the other 2 pins back in, and reopen coretemp to see it at 65C ahahahahah?

Gomeler

Jan 12, 2008
I had my old Xeon 3040 running at 70C 24/7 for about 9 months and my E6400 was running at 68C 24/7 for about 16 months. The Core 2 architecture is incredibly durable, I didn't notice a single bit of frequency degradation or instability. If you are using the stock heatsink you may want to bump up to a beefier heatsink, it can make all the difference in the world between a sub 3GHz and 3+Ghz overclock which can really boost performance in benchmarks and games.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Xvys

I call shens. I've used CoreTemp to monitor temps that went up to 86C and beyond, and it never once flashed a warning at me.