Overclocking video card's ram, do those ram heatsinks do anything at all?

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
i've seen some Geforce2 Ultra with those Ram heatsinks, do they actually help? and ive read somewhere that they only help if properly attached. So, if i attach it my self wiill it help or anything? just wondering cause no one has done a review on this, as if it really helps. Now im running Radeon 32DDR at 225/205 (core/mem) but post at 3dRage said that Radeon is clock locked on core and mem so the lower speed would be the actual speed for both and was wondering if heatsinks on ram would do anything. THanx pplz

Gringo

Aug 29, 2000
I dont know about that particular card, but cooling will always help to OC.

I think the best way that I've seen to add those micro heatsinks onto DRAM chips is to apply a thermal conductor (NOT tape..you do use *Silver dont you?) to the heatsink, place it on the dram chip, and apply a *TINY* amount of epoxy to one edge of the heatsink, so you get a little dab or fillet between the heatsink and the dram chip. Maybe along 2 edges even; enough so that little conductive piece of scrap metal will never come off and short something out. The trick is to use just enough to keep it from comming off by itself, and just enough that it will pop off with a quick twist with needlenose pliers/fingers. This way you get maximum contact between HS and dram chip, and itll come off if you ever want to take it off. rinse and repeat per chip. dont forget to direct some of your internal air streams to wash over the chips.

Not sure where i saw this originally, but it works great.

resinboy

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2000
I spent about 1 1/2 hrs cutting up 2 full size heat sinks to make a bunch of small ones for my card( see below)I ran Unreal Tournament for an hour, and checked the ram chip temps- they weren't even warm :) I didn't even bother to install them.

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
Thanx. it seems my ram (DDR) doesnt even get warm either. but i wanted to beat the 205MHZ barrier, oh well its mucho fast now. thanx fellaz