overclocking video card memory

pen^2

Banned
Apr 1, 2000
guess the ramsinks are not gettin the job done; when i first turn my computer on, i could clock the memory up to 190's but after playin for a while i get some rainy effects (and afterwards, even if i clock it down to default speed the artifacts wouldnt go away until i restart)
i know people have been saying memory overclocking is more about the build quality or speed of the chips rather than cooling but i wonder if i slap on some peltier on them it may help me reachin the higher speeds?

btw, i have experiences with peltiers and know how to use them (ie. no nonsense condensation etc)

jinsonxu

Golden Member
Aug 19, 2000
I've always wondered. Isn't ram a capacitor? There're no transistors and so it isn't supposed to get hot does it?

pen^2

Banned
Apr 1, 2000
ATi RADEON (32megger). i thought it ran 200/200 fine for a while but now it only does 185/185. if i turn the computer off for a while, 190/190 seems to work to for a short duration ('rain effects' after bout 10 minutes of intense fraggin)

pen^2

Banned
Apr 1, 2000
tru. but when i tried to overclock a SDR Geforce that belonged to a friend of mine it would hang. when i opened the case the ram on the geforce was scorching hot :!

Maverick2002

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2000
ram hot? hmmm.....interesting.....
rainy effects means you're gettin corrupt pixels, so underclocking is the way to go
btw, thats all you got from a ddr card???? wow......thats little