Overclocking Preview Bulldozer 8150

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
I think we would have seen more of that PhII suicide-OC headroom being leveraged for 24/7 air and water operations (at lower clocks obviously, but higher than what we see in PhII today) had PhII turned out to be the CPU of enthusiast choice.

Because phenomII was more or less panned by the broader OC'ng enthusiasts, the mobo's were all the less robust, the expertise brought to bear in terms of tweaking and optimizing PhII rigs was all the less, etc etc.

I know why my 2600K OC's like a beast...the mobo is top quality. ASUS made my mobo knowing full well in advance that they'd be selling 8-9 times more of them than they would be selling the AMD equivalent. You scale your engineering investments (cost control) accordingly with projected market volume and profitability.

Mind you I recognize that Bulldozer/zambezi risks falling short for the same reasons as PhII, if it does not displace the 2500K and 2600K with the enthusiast crowd then it will never be put to the same rigors of system optimization, the mobo makers won't invest their star engineering resources to craft eleet uber OC supporting mobos and so on, and in general the enthusiast community's collective know-how in terms of optimizing zambezi systems will be just that much less formidable compared to the working knowledge-base on optimizing Intel SB OC's.