Overclocking PIII 800 /w Asus P3V4X

ktang

Oct 26, 2000
I was wondering if someone could help me on this issue. I've overclocked before but I've always had parts that weren't suited for overclocking. In any case, I ended up getting a PIII 800 100FSB /w an ASUS P3V4X and I couldn't O/C it past 105. At first I thought it was the RAM which was generic so I got a MUSHKIN REV 2 PC133 222 128 MB RAM. Then I tried to O/C it again and still no dice. Only get 105 otherwise it won't post at all (which is funny b/c the generic RAM would post at higher speeds but won't run all the way). I know it might be a limitation of the CPU itself but to be able to only get 5 FSB increments kinda sounds strange considering all of my parts seem to be Overclockable...can someone offer some insights? Thanks.

Here's my computer.

Pentium III 800 Mhz 100 FSB
ASUS P3V4X
Mushkin Rev 2 PC133 128 MB
Creative Annihilator GeForce2 GTS 64 MB
RealMagic Hollywood Plus (which I took out to see if it's the problem)
SB Live! Value
SIIG ATA100 Card
30 GB ATA100 IBM HD

osage

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2000
Slot 1 or flip chip, if flip chip what slotket are you using? Try setting your ram to by spd first, enable L 2 cache ECC check. Bump the voltage to 1.75 to start.
What HS/Fan are you using, and what kind of temp do you show in Hardware Monitor?
Try it at 105 for a few days and then try again to raise the FSB.
Does your board have the Winbond clock gen chip, ie: 16 FSB speeds or 32 or so FSB speeds?
Send me a PM later , be glad to try and help you tweak it up a bit more, if possible.

ktang

Oct 26, 2000
Ok, here's the info...
it's using the stock fan right now because I want to see if it can even post first. It's a slot1 CPU so I have to figure out how to clip it out and put in a new fan but I want to see that this setup is even capable of O/C past 105. I've been using it at 105 for a while (but not with the Mushkin memory until yesterday). I will try the ECC checking to be turned on. I've tried bumping the voltage up to 1.75 but I don't want to try to go too crazy w/o a good fan at first. All the temperature settings are at default (although I did turn off the voltage core watch)...would it help if I turned off the monitor or bump it up higher to at least get it to post? I put it to SPD but it didn't work either. It wouldn't matter if I have any components in there right? Thanks for the help. I believe there's about 32 FSB speeds on this..or at least more than 16 from what I remember (not at the computer right now).

osage

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2000
OK here is a link that should have most of the tweaking options for your moboOC Australia, don't stop at the first page, you will want to go back a few pages. Better yet use the search at the top of the page. See what people are doing with this mobo.
It could be that your chip just can't do much over 100Mhz, but it's too soon to tell. good luck and keep me posted.

Trifecta

May 27, 2000
I got my P3700e to go to 910o on my p3v4x. no problems so far

The trick for me was to make sure and use the dip switches and keep the agp bus multiplier set to 3/2 or 3/4

depending on your bus speed.