Overclocking phenom 9500

SirJangly

Apr 9, 2008
Hey guys. I have a gateway, and was wondering how I can raise the clock speed? I'm going to install a 500w psu to replace the 300w that came with it. The model for the computer is gt5662. Thanks in advance guys :)

Neurodog

Jan 11, 2000
Good luck! I've got a 9500 with a low end Motherboard and can barely get 2.3ghz.
I haven't played around that much but I also wasn't expecting much.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Originally posted by: SirJangly
Awww :( There must be something I can do. I'm guessing Ntune is a bad way to go...

nTune = NO NO!

I suspect it won't help you but as 'akhilles' attempted to suggest you may be able to use the AMD Overdrive (AOD) utilty: Lookee Here

There may be a more current version available because I found (with a little quick research) that your computer comes with a Foxconn AMD 780 chipset with the sb700 (and that may be good).

The Rumahs on the internets (one of which you may find here) suggest that starting with the sb700 clock timing issues critical to a successful OC are being addressed. (The southbridge loopy PLL is thought to be holding back Phenom OCs)

Here is the Gateway components list for your system.

THE BAD NEWS

The reason I suggested it may not help: Gateway has a suck-ass history of BIOS support (which I assume may be necessary to enable AOD effectively)

SirJangly

Apr 9, 2008
What about the nvidia control panel? Not ntune, but the performance option of the control panel. It lets me adjust motherboard settings, although I'm assuming its the same thing as ntune?

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Phenoms don't exactly oc well....most of us are amazed they got the product to launch this year. Ok, just a little humor. In all seriousness, don't expect much of an OC when AMDs top offering is 2.5 GHz.

SirJangly

Apr 9, 2008
Ahhh. I'm guessing it'd be impossible to safely OC my proc on a gateway? The bios doesn't show an option :(

angry hampster

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2007
www.lexaphoto.com
Originally posted by: SirJangly
Ahhh. I'm guessing it'd be impossible to safely OC my proc on a gateway? The bios doesn't show an option :(

Big Box brands tend to cripple the BIOS on the boards they use. This way the customer comes back to buy a new machine next year.