Overclocking new Dell 700m

djxlee

Jun 19, 2004
Hi guys, I'm using clockgen to overclock my Dell 700m Centrino. It uses the Intel Pentium M 725 Processor (1.6GHz, 2MB Cache, 400MHz FSB) on the Intel 855GME chipset.

Since I didn't see the specific chipset used for Clockgen, I downloaded both versions for Intel:

CG-CY28346
CG-ICS952618

At first I tried to use the CG-CY28346, but it gives me some wierd values:
CPU 598.06
FSB 99.68
Memory 166.13
AGP 0
PCI 0

So, instead I decided to try out the CG-ICS952618 and it gives me these values:
CPU 171.82
FSB 28.64
Memory 47.73
AGP 28.64
PCI 14.32

I hardly believe these numbers are right, but I went ahead and increased the FSB to the next highest (it only let me change once) and the results I got were:
CPU 600.10
FSB 100.02
Memory 166.69
AGP 100.02
PCI 50.01

I'm really confused at this point, but then I go to system properties. Before I used clockgen, it told me

Intel Pentium M processor 1.60GHz
221 MHz

Then after using clockgen, I go back and it now reads

Intel Pentium M processor 1.60GHz
598 MHz

Does this make sense to anyone? Am I doing something really BAD to the chip? :confused:

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Um, first of all, you are really dumb for overclocking a laptop. Laptops are specifically designed to run within certain temperature ranges and anything outside of it can easily overwhelm the meager cooling systems.
Second, it looks as though the first Clockgen you tried is correct. Were you running on battery? 'Cuz it looks like the chip was running underclocked to 600MHz as it does when set on battery. Try using SpeedSwitchXP to set your clock speed to maximum and make sure you connect to AC before you try to OC again. The FSB value was correct and so was the memory. System Properties displayed the CPU as 221MHz the first time because it looks like your system was idling when you looked, as the Pentium M slows down to 200MHz when under severe idle situations. The second time it looks as though it was at the standard battery clock speed of 600MHz.
Once again, stop it. Unless you want a reason to buy a new laptop, this is pointless. Not to mention you obviously don't know what you are doing. Write back when you fry it :roll:

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
1. Don't
2. Use the DFI 855GM or whatever chipset one. It worked on mine (I was curious, but set it to stock and uninstalled clockgen right away).

trungthiendo

Mar 8, 2004
there's really no need in overclocking a laptop, the stock cooling on there is meant to cool the chip under intensive cpu work...overclocking the chip will make it run a little warmer than it needs too..giving way to shorter lifespan and the fan will come on more often

the thing with pentium M is that they underclock when the cpu cycles aren't being used. So the overclock won't do anything when you arne't doing anything...

if you want performance, just set the power scheme to maximum performance, and tweak windows...

overclocking on a laptop is just plain useless...save it for the desktop arena

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Seriously, I could understand overclocking a laptop that has a reasonably modern video chipset and you wanted to get a few more FPS out of games...but a 700M???

I have a 700M (typing on it now) and I totally don't see the point. Maybe word will open 30ms faster? Powerpoint performance is better? This thing is a nice portable productivity machine, not a gaming rig.

ssvegeta1010

Platinum Member
Nov 13, 2004
Why OC a laptop?
Seriously, I have a Dell 5150 and it runs at 56C under heavy load anyway. Even a Pentium M laptop shouldnt be (or need to be) overclocked.

stratman

Oct 19, 2004
Why all the haters? Let him do what he wants ;)

Nah, I completely understand why you want to OC your lappy, I continually try on my Dell 8600.

I've tried using both those clockgens, but neither worked. The CG-ICS952618 detects the wrong value, and moving the slider and setting a new clockspeed has no effect. The CG-CY28346 detects the correct speed, but the all the displayed values change to -1.#j when you try to change clockspeed.

The stuff I've read trying to figure out how to OC our machines leads me to believe that the mobo in these Dell rigs is proprietary, not exactly what those two clockgens were designed for, so clockgen wont work.

However, I came across a rumour that clockgen works if you replace the Intel(R) 82855PM Processor to I/O Controller -3340 with a generic driver. I dont know how to do this though, if I go to the control panel 'system' and delete said driver windows says 'new hardware detected' and automatically reinstalls the one I've deleted.

Any ideas?

Anyways, good luck with your OC

AnyMal

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Why in the worl would you want to OC a laptop? If you fry your CPU, are you going to call Dell and demand a warranty service?

Wuzup101

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2002
I'm just going to say it again, just incase you didn't pay attention to the above posters: Overclocking a laptop (especially one that small) is a VERY VERY BAD IDEA.

Mingon

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2000
Ask yourself this question, do you believe all 2.4c processors would only run at thier rated speed? Do you believe that the lowest grade cpu wont run at a similar speed to the next cpu up? I do. As most laptop have limited GPU power any increase in cpu speed will help frame rates in games. I have a 9700 based laptop and If I could get my cpu just 10% quicker it would give a nice speed bump to games.

Pentium M cpu's are likely to be held back by their platform and a lack of pci lock means at most 15% o/c before pci bus instability is likely to occur. Look at the pentium M on the Matx motherboard by DFI it uses a small heatsink and still overclock on average by 20% on a 2.0 dothan

DarkAmeba

Jun 13, 2004
Originally posted by: Wuzup101
I'm just going to say it again, just incase you didn't pay attention to the above posters: Overclocking a laptop (especially one that small) is a VERY VERY BAD IDEA.

Plester

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
i don't think you can currently - neither clockgen for the 855 chipset will work. don't think you will run into much heat trouble w/ a 1.6 at 1.8 - i am sure the exact same cooling is used in the 700m for the full range of M's up to 2ghz.

if you are cutting video or some other cpu intensive task it would make sense, but day to day - who cares if it runs at 1.6 or 2.0?