Overclocking my 4200+ X2... help

YoungGun21

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
I go into my BIOS and I don't see how I can change the values for multiplier, etc.

I see some of the settings there (not all of them, can't remember which are there and which aren't) but they are grayed out and i can't select them to change them. I have been all through every tab looking to see if i had to enable or disable something to be able to OC but have seen nothing.

Please help

secretanchitman

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
what kind of mobo do you have?

also you might have to set some options to "manual", like the asus boards...

YoungGun21

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
ASUS NODUSM3 w/ Geforce 6150 (skt. AM2)

Bios = Phoenix Technologies, LTD version 3.07 date 8/2/06

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
To YoungGun1,

Have you downloaded the mobo manual which should contain you bios data?---its the usual place to start---but to change my settings I first have to take the cpu settings off auto and select Pcie async---and then the various clocking settings ungrey---but I have an asrock board---and your board may have a different set of magic words. Or may not allow changing settings at all.

I also recommend you do a lot of reading up before you try any overclocking. And sneak up on settings. Or you may fry a component and really be up the creek. And some memory can safely overclock and some memory has little potential to overclock.

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
it should be under jumperfree configuration. But your mobo sounds cheap ass though, with onboard video ?

SimMike2

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2000
The multipliers are usually locked on these CPUs. So what you change is the bus speed. On good overclocking mainboards, you can keep most of your other components running at stock speeds, with just the CPU bus speed being overclocked. If the options are grayed out, like you said in your post, you need to change the top setting to "manual." This should open up your options.

If people could actually simply change the multiplier, overclocking would be much easier. As it is, you have to tweak your other settings when you move the bus speed up. Otherwise your memory and other components will also be overclocked and could become very unstable.