Overclocking lowers PCI-E speed on 7970s?

OVerLoRDI

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
So I loaded up GPU-Z to keep an eye on temps and such.

Stock:
yWqFq.png

Exactly what you would expect for SB with two cards

Oc'd:
fXNb3.png

drops to PCI-E 1.1

At least that is what GPU-Z says. Is there another way to check bus speeds. I want to rule out if GPU-Z is reading this incorrectly.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
hmm that is odd. Do you notice a drop in performance, or rather an increase due to clock speeds? thats what should matter.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Put it under load and see what happens. If I recall correctly, that's a power saving feature.

Don Karnage

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2011
So I loaded up GPU-Z to keep an eye on temps and such.

Stock:
yWqFq.png

Exactly what you would expect for SB with two cards

Oc'd:
fXNb3.png

drops to PCI-E 1.1

At least that is what GPU-Z says. Is there another way to check bus speeds. I want to rule out if GPU-Z is reading this incorrectly.

Could you run 3dmark11 and heaven on max overclocks and post a screenshot? I want to compare

(sic)Klown12

Nov 27, 2010
While having GPU-Z open, run a windowed 3D program and make sure it's going back up to full speed with load. While it's normal for the bus to drop when in idle, it's weird that it'd drop to different modes depending on whether or not you're overclocking. I know my 7970 doesn't do that.

OVerLoRDI

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
Cards idle in PCie 1.1 and such. Very normal.

derp derp. I feel dumb.

Ran heaven in a window and saw the bus speed jump back up to 2.0.

Seems like I got unlucky since the bus speed seemed to be swapping back and forth occasionally during desktop usage and I kept catching it at the wrong time.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
derp derp. I feel dumb.

Ran heaven in a window and saw the bus speed jump back up to 2.0.

Seems like I got unlucky since the bus speed seemed to be swapping back and forth occasionally during desktop usage and I kept catching it at the wrong time.

Why feel dumb? You learned something new and others that read your thread did also :)

OVerLoRDI

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
Why feel dumb? You learned something new and others that read your thread did also :)

:thumbsup:

Could you run 3dmark11 and heaven on max overclocks and post a screenshot? I want to compare

I don't have the full version of 3dmark11. See this thread for mine and many other's heavens results:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2237529

My max overclock so far is 1225mhz @ 1.23v on these cards and those results aren't in there. Soon I'll get my CPU oc'd and see if I can push my 7970s farther. Then I'll get your results :p