Overclocking limits of the tbird

MaJik

Jul 20, 2000
Im new to the AMD family,
My mind is pretty much set on buying a duron now, i see everybody getting 1Ghz on them. Im planning on pilter+watercooling, do you recomend 600 or 700 or does it matter? The prices are so close i don't care about the money. Also tbird 700 is still a option, if anybody wants to recomend/or not. Any info would help.
What are my best MB choices?

thx.

Techwhore

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2000
Well, my $.02 is that the durons have the same cap at any speed. I haven't seen 700's, or even 800's go any higher than a 600. Granted some are better than others but that is the chance you take. If money is no object, then buy a higher clock speed so if you can't o/c, or o/c well, you still have a fast machine. Also, the higher clocked durons tend to run 1ghz at lower voltage, so that may be a plus in the long run. As for t-birds, if money is no object, buy one, but you really don't NEED more than a duron is gonna give you (which is considerably lower priced).

I would suggest the abit kt7/kt7 RAID but the ASUS is solid too ... actually, all the boards are solid from what i hear.

MaJik

Jul 20, 2000
Are the tbirds like the duron as far as most of them being able to hit close to the same speed as far as the clock speed you buy, or is a tbird 800 going to go that much faster then a tbird 700?
I see even the 1Ghz tbirds are pretty cheap, what are the limits of the tbird, obviously if you buy a 1.2Ghz tbird you arn't going to get that much extra out of it? What one can you pull the most out of?

hehe lots of questions =-/

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
I've been running 1.1GHz from a 1GHz real stable. I'm currently working on 1.2GHz, probably gonna have to replace my current HS/F with the Alpha before I can get to it though.

MaJik

Jul 20, 2000
Hrm... Im starting to not like AMD before I even get one, I always thought you AMD fans were so supportive and stuff, mabe i just get a P3 700 =-/

Jugernot

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Ummmm, did you ever think posting 6 out of the 9 message in YOUR OWN THREAD would scare some people away? Try closing your mouth and letting some other people post for a change.

VisionsUCI

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2000
Go for an the Tbird. The chips are much better, and the prices are really low right now. I don't know why you would even consider Intel at this point, unless you really want to spend double for the speed. My two cents.

Durons are good, but again, you would have to overclock it more, and I think its harder on the processor, even a good hs/f.

Mustanggt

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 1999
If you have money to burn then get the highest clocked Tbird you can find. Not that you would be able to tell the difference between a 900 MHZTbird and a 900 MHZ duron the duron will run anything you throw at it just fine only way you would know you were running a Tbird is by benchmarks and thats all.

IaPuP

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2000
I just got a Duron 600. It just posted at 1133MHz. So far I've only used 1.85V but I'm willing to go up to 2.0V (AMD specs state 2.1V is absolute maximum tolerance).

I figure at 2.0V it should Be stable at close to 1.1Ghz.

Eric

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
At the same clock speed, a T-Bird will be significantly faster than a Duron due to the larger and faster on-die cache. However, for the difference in price, is that extra boost in speed really a necessity? Personally, I'm going with a $45 Duron 600Mhz heavily overclocked, and then in a few months, I'll buy me a 1.2 Ghz T-Bird for the current price of an 800 Mhz T-Bird.. :)