Overclocking Help

Meat1000

Apr 7, 2009
I have a couple questions regarding manually doing OC settings as opposed to keeping everything on Auto. Also, I am a noob at this.

My specs: i7 920, EVGA x58 SLI mb, 6 gigs of GSkill 1333 DDR3, EVGA 260 SC ed., Xigamatek Dark Knight HSF. I'll post other specs if needed.

When I wanted to dive into OCing, I started reading guides etc. I found the one guide on EVGA website on how to OC to 4.2ghz w/ 1600 RAM. I figured I would just adjust my settings to accomodate my 3.2ghz OC w/ 1333 RAM. Well, I tried that and I BSOD's before windows even booted. I think I had my mem mult. wrong.

So I tried again, this time just upping my core clock to net me a 3.5ghz overclock, I didn't touch anything else, left it all on Auto. The pc booted up, I ran 10 passes of Intel Burn Test twice and 14 hours of 8 instances of Prime 95 successfully. My temps never surpasses 61 degrees on any of the cores. My BIOS and E-Leet tool both have my VCore voltage at 1.15 V and my Dram voltage at 1.55 V, which means it didn't change.

I also noticed in E-Leet my Dram freq runs at 699mhz now as opposed to 660mhz. I guess that was Auto upped when I changed the core clock. Does that mean my RAM was Overclocked as well?

Ok, that was a long pre-amble, here are the questions:

1. Is there any benefit to manually setting the Uncore freq, mem multiplier, etc as opposed to leaving it on Auto?

2. Why does my memory upon the boot screen being read as 1066 memory(even before OC) as opposed to 1333?

3. Going beyond 3.5ghz is actually OCing my memory as well now since it is only 1333 mem?

4. Can I try adn OC higher on Auto? And if I run into stability issues, should I just slightly adjust my VCore Voltage? And what should I look out for w/ my memory, because it now seems beyond 3.5 I'll be running it out of spec?

Thaks in advance.

Billb2

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2005
FSB x Multiplier = CPU speed
FSB x Divider = Memory speed.

Turn off ALL automatic overclocking.

Read some more guides/posts.

Download CPU-Z