Overclocking goes wrong

Papastache

May 13, 2015
Hello, I have overclocked G3258 and asus h81m to 4.5GHZ using manually voltages, works fine. As an example i have 1.260vcore clocked, stock is 1.080v, in BIOS instead of 1.260v i set offset to + 0.180. But when i save and restart it goes back to stock, hwmonitor shows 3.2GHZ 1.080v and +0v offset. What i do wrong? Is there any other settings in BIOS i need to change?

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
TDP/Wattage limit in BIOS perhaps?

I assume you 3.2Ghz is under some Prime95 load or similar?

Papastache

May 13, 2015
TDP/Wattage limit in BIOS perhaps?

I assume you 3.2Ghz is under some Prime95 load or similar?

Not sure what u try to say, but i doubt its a TDP cuz i can run it 4.5 with manual voltage of 1.260v. Now i want to use offset to keep system cooler on idle but cant figure it out how. It seems that i have to change something else beside just offset voltage
I have even tried to put offset to 0.300 and run on 3.4GHZ even, but whatever i do with offset it wont boot overclocked
Yes 3.2GHZ load when i try to use offset

Last edited:

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
How do you overclock, Pops?

Do you use a Windows tuning utility?

Do you use an "automatic" overclocking feature of the BIOS?

Or . . . do you set the parameters for voltage, speed, LLC and other features manually in the Advanced BIOS screens?

I can only speak from my experience with Z68 and Z77 motherboards. There were four ways to overclock: (1) you could flip a switch on the motherboard; (2) you could use the "AI Tweaker" or overclocker within the BIOS; (3) you could use the bundled proprietary tuning software in Windows; or (4) you could manually set and adjust settings in the BIOS menus. Whichever method was last used would give you the effective settings. Some other boards or BIOS's might not follow that logic exactly.

But there would be confusion when using the Windows software -- as I remember it. Also, there should be a "save" button in the tuning dialog of such software.

And of course, every time you change settings in the BIOS, you need to "save" the changes.

Please do not be irritated for my discussion of these rather simple matters, but there's always the possibility that there is some relevance to your current problem situation.

By the way. Using the Offset settings will help you reduce voltage and therefore temperatures, and there should be an Adaptive voltage setting on top of that. The second setting would allow you to keep the Offset as low as possible in the positive range.

If you want to reduce temperatures under idle conditions, you should Enable EIST and C1E among other things.

Last edited:

Papastache

May 13, 2015
How do you overclock, Pops?

Do you use a Windows tuning utility?

Do you use an "automatic" overclocking feature of the BIOS?

Or . . . do you set the parameters for voltage, speed, LLC and other features manually in the Advanced BIOS screens?

I can only speak from my experience with Z68 and Z77 motherboards. There were four ways to overclock: (1) you could flip a switch on the motherboard; (2) you could use the "AI Tweaker" or overclocker within the BIOS; (3) you could use the bundled proprietary tuning software in Windows; or (4) you could manually set and adjust settings in the BIOS menus. Whichever method was last used would give you the effective settings. Some other boards or BIOS's might not follow that logic exactly.

But there would be confusion when using the Windows software -- as I remember it. Also, there should be a "save" button in the tuning dialog of such software.

And of course, every time you change settings in the BIOS, you need to "save" the changes.

Please do not be irritated for my discussion of these rather simple matters, but there's always the possibility that there is some relevance to your current problem situation.

By the way. Using the Offset settings will help you reduce voltage and therefore temperatures, and there should be an Adaptive voltage setting on top of that. The second setting would allow you to keep the Offset as low as possible in the positive range.

If you want to reduce temperatures under idle conditions, you should Enable EIST and C1E among other things.

Hello, i use BIOS to overclock and use manual settings in AI tweaker. I havent changed LLC u mentioned, can it be the reason? I can change it between regular low medium extreme as far i remember. which gives 20-40-60-80-100% of something. I have it on Auto and manual overclocking works.
EIST is enabled and C1E cant be found

Last edited:

Papastache

May 13, 2015
Is there anything else can be done? Have changed LLC to 100% but didnt help.
Im pretty sure simple thing is missing but what i try nothing seems working.