Overclocking Dell Ryzen 1700X

beastykato

Jul 20, 2017
So, to start off, I know there will be a lot of Dell hate. I'm not super worried about OC'ing this machine, but if I can I would definitely like to. Dell had very good prices on their black friday in July sale and combined with other discounts I paid just a hair over $700 for a 1700x + RX570 + all the other components. So, even if I can't OC I won't be too disappointed. No way I could have built it for close to that.

With that said, I have OC'd pre-built machines using software like SetFSB and an old llano software program to OC the APU in my laptop. It seems the guy that ran SetFSB has given up on it and not updated the website since last year.

Does anyone know of any current software that will allow me to do this?

According to CPU-Z this is my machines mobo/chipset:

Motherboard: Dell Model 07PR60

Chipset: AMD Ryzen SOC (Geekbench website says: AMD K17 Bridge)

SouthBridge: AMD X370

BIOS: Dell v1.1.2

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Have you tried Ryzen Master?

Even if it doesn't OC, I'd say you got a decent deal on that rig! MSRP for the Ryzen 1700x + RX 470 alone is $399 + $239 or thereabouts. With the short supply of GPUs these days that's a solid deal.

Reactions: Drazick

beastykato

Jul 20, 2017
I didn't even know about that program. I'll definitely give it a try tomorrow.

And thanks on the deal. It's gone now, but I'm sure those prices will be back on black friday.

Dell Inspiron 5675 was 17% off, Ebates was giving 12% back, and my credit card gives 2% back. Anyone can do it! =)

Reactions: Drazick

beastykato

Jul 20, 2017
Just checking back in to let ya know it definitely works with AMD's software.

I'm currently stable at 3.9Ghz @ 1.35v on the stock Dell heatsink. (I think it's the Wraith cooler?)
It hit mid 60's Celsius during CPU-Z stress test.

The only negative still is the Dell mobo does not report any of the memory information to the program. So, I think I'm stuck at 2400Mhz on the RAM.

Thanks very much for making me aware of Ryzen Master!

EDIT: double checked some pictures of the cooler on google. It looks exactly like the AMD Wraith Max cooler..

GoNavy1776

Jul 7, 2017
Hrrm I have no idea but if you can't OC it no biggie the 1700x is damn and I mean damn fast already at stock clocks.

My biggest worries would be that you are using an OEM computer. Thus you must find out if the Voltage Reg. mosfets are up to speed and can handle the current draw imposed by that 8 core monster in the socket. They may overheat and die.

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012

I'm currently stable at 3.9Ghz @ 1.35v on the stock Dell heatsink. (I think it's the Wraith cooler?)

The only negative still is the Dell mobo does not report any of the memory information to the program. So, I think I'm stuck at 2400Mhz on the RAM.

EDIT: double checked some pictures of the cooler on google. It looks exactly like the AMD Wraith Max cooler..
Perhaps a bios update from Dell will expose those memory settings. One can hope anyway. Overall, it sounds like you've got a good running system for a great price though.

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006

I'd be concerned with the VRMs on your MOBO. I'm sure Dell used the cheapest setup that would work for a stock CPU. Fewer/cheaper VRMs means less efficient, less efficient means more waste heat. I'm also guessing they went cheap/small on the VRM heatsinks, and with an OC things could be getting dangerously hot. It's worth investigating, but at least you have a stock downward airflow HS/F, which will help move air around the VRMs.

wecelliott

Sep 25, 2017
I'd be concerned with the VRMs on your MOBO. I'm sure Dell used the cheapest setup that would work for a stock CPU. Fewer/cheaper VRMs means less efficient, less efficient means more waste heat. I'm also guessing they went cheap/small on the VRM heatsinks, and with an OC things could be getting dangerously hot. It's worth investigating, but at least you have a stock downward airflow HS/F, which will help move air around the VRMs.

I have 5675 with watercooling option, It includes vrm heatsinks and front case fan, A good deal at 100.00 US.