Overclocking CPU - Which PSU/Case? How much power?

EdenB

Oct 3, 2014
I'm having to sell my old PC due to an international move and I'll be putting together a new one when I get back home.

I'm thinking of buying the following parts (except for Blu-Ray drive, GPU and HD which I already own). It estimates at 450W, so I've chosen a 650W PSU.

That said, I'm not sure if it will be enough power after the overclock. I'll likely be buying this bundle, which comes overclocked at 4.6Ghz from 4.0. Could anyone say how much of a power requirement increase this would be?

As a note, the Blu-Ray drive may not be that specific one. I don't know the model as it's currently in the UK while I'm currently in Korea. I just know it's LG. At a later date, after a lot of saving, I hope to replace the GPU. I don't want to crossfire.

I'd also be happy for any recommendations on cases. Ideally £100 or below, with a space for the blu-ray drive, good airflow (GPU runs a bit hot at times and the CPU is known for running hot generally) and fairly quiet.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (£257.94 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£69.99 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£104.36 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£66.67 @ More Computers)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For £0.00)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card (Purchased For £0.00)
Power Supply: XFX XTR 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£76.38 @ Scan.co.uk)
Optical Drive: LG BT30N Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer (Purchased For £0.00)
Total: £575.34
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-04 01:42 BST+0100

Last edited:

mistersprinkles

May 24, 2014
I wouldn't trust an overclock unless I did it myself. You better hope they're binning i7's that OC to 4.6 on low volts or that chip is going to get mighty toasty on that little H80i.

Yes, 650W is fine for ANY GPU and ANY CPU, except for maybe a 9590 that you want to push even further than "stock"...

You don't have an SSD in that build. You really want to build with an i7 and not include an SSD? Makes a big difference. Even if it's a 128GB Cheapo like an MX100.

Get 2133Mhz RAM. Preferably CAS 9. Faster RAM scales well with Haswell. On my forum (overclockers.com) we only recommend 2133Mhz RAM (and up) with Haswell.

If you're feeling cheap, get 2133 CAS 11. Same price as 1600 CAS 9 and it'll perform better.

EdenB

Oct 3, 2014
Re: The overclock;

I'm mostly new to overclocking. I had a minor overclock on an older PC's CPU. I couldn't figure out the options on my current one (which I'm selling today) and I overclocked my old GPU slightly through MSI Afterburner. The bundle route is attractive since they include a 2-year warranty and putting the cooler on the CPU/mobo is something I've done once only. That and it won't be a case of not being able to figure it out like my current PC. I'd trust someone who does it as part of his or her job over myself who is a novice.

An SSD is an option that I'd like, but it depends how much I spend on the case.

If I don't go the bundle route, I'll look into the RAM (I'm thinking of the G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory at the moment). Are there any specific types you'd recommend for price/performance? I went with the 1600 since it was included in the bundle and I've seen people saying that it's a minor increase. It's particularly good with 2133+ on Haswell? If I get the parts separately, I may be able to get a more experienced friend to supervise if I'm quick to order.

Last edited: