Overclocking Athlon classic..

Jesper

Jun 13, 2001
Can anyone tell me how hi I can set my CPU Vcore and my CPU frequency - safely..

----------------------
Asus K7V
Athlon (classic 0.25) 700
320 MB PC133

CTho9305

Elite Member
Jul 26, 2000
vcore is in the bios. Go to k7v.com and get the 1008C beta bios (MAKE SURE you don't get D - it is only for tbirds cause the L2 divider setting doesn't work. it wont break anything, it'll just not be as useful).

To overclock, if you want any non-negligible gains, you need to buy a GFD to adjust the multiplier. Or, if you dont want to, you can try setting the bus speed from standard to user define and set it to whatever is stable (don't expect >110hz to be stable). If you're lucky and can handle a 44 PCI, you can go to the dipswitch settings at k7v.com and try the fsb of 133 (133fsb, 44 pci). backup your hard drives first

stockjock

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000
I could tell you...but it's best to just go to this SITE. It is a very good site that will help you with overclocking basics of the classic Athlon. It will show how to remove the case and how to install a GFD (Golden Finger Device). I would go over to the For Sale/Trade forum and see if there are any for sale, they should go for around $20 now...as a matter of fact HERE is one for sale.
If you have any more questions feel free to ask away.

mlchang

Jan 5, 2001
Another interesting thing about classic Athlons is that you might have a differently rated core than what your chip is actually running at.

After you read that highspeedpc article mentioned in the previous post...you may decide to remove the casing.

Some people with 700+ Athlons have actually found 900MHz cores sitting inside, so that they were able to overclock to 1GHz+. You too may have a surprise waiting for you. :)

stockjock

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000
Yes..it is very likely true the core is higher. I, myself wouldn't take off the heatplate..it's a royal pain in the A$$ to do and it doesn't yield that much of a difference in temp and then you have to mod a HS/F to fit then..which we should also cover..if your gonna overclock, get a good HS/F, something like an Alpha P7125...

Just my .02 worth. :D

Richardito

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2001
My brother has an Athlon classic 750MHz that I helped him overclock. He got a GFD and after a lot of tinkering he was able to overclock it to 1020MHz (10x102). He had to use the MAthlon program to change the L2 cache speed multiplier from 2/5 to 1/3 and raised the voltage to 1.98v. The three limiting factors are the heat sink, the L2 cache speed and the memory. For the HS just purchase two high performance fans that you can bolt on to your existing HS, don't waste $50 on a high performance HS fan combo. I personally used 2 used fans that I purchased in a computer show for $0.20 each! :D For the cache you can either use a program that actually works with your system or get a GFD that you can solder and physically set the L2 speed in the CPU. Get high quality PC-150 or PC-166 memory which you can re-use later on your next computer. Good luck!!!

stockjock

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000
The K7V has a cache Divisor already in the Bios as long as he has the correct bios, Which I think is the 1008C bios has. He won't need the Mathlon program.

mitaiwan82

Platinum Member
Nov 29, 2000
yeah AMD changed the core to a .18 micron process at 750Mhz so if you got a .25u 700 then I don't think you'll have too much luck overclocking...

stockjock

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000
Hey..no problem man..glad we could...and btw..I don't think you'll have a problem overclocking that .25. And one last thing, that board you have is a very good overclocking board.
just my .02 worth...:D